Slowing tempo down and score

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Mac
mbhuff

Slowing tempo down and score

Post by mbhuff » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:09 pm

David / Team -

Brand new to playing piano. I was a recording engineer in Hollywood for years and years. Struggling on this side of the mic, so to speak. Bought a Roland RD 800 over the past weekend and I've been ripping through Boot Camp / Rookie until I reached level 7 I believe after 3 days practice. Hit a Green Day track at 148 BPM. I've been forcing myself to play at the songs native tempo and not moving on until I hit 100% accuracy. Trying to be a man about this and learn each lesson thoroughly before proceeding. I'm stuck. While it's great to nail it and have that sense of accomplishment I feel like I need to drop the tempo to a manageable speed to play the piece. My question is: Does the app take tempo lowering into account on scoring percentage and document the BPM? I'd like to know and historically identify lessons that I changed the tempo on so I can go back at a later date when I have more chops and properly finish them.

Make sense?

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Michael
:ugeek:

draco2023a

Re: Slowing tempo down and score

Post by draco2023a » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi Mike,
Just a friendly suggestion that may help you progress.
Burning through so quickly is not really the best way to go. If you just run through the lesson until you hit %100 once or twice, chances are you may not retain what you learned. The key is to continue to work on it until you can repeat that perfect score effortlessly. I know it sounds tedious, but it really isn't.

Getting 100% only means that you pressed the right keys at the right time, but playing the piano is so much more then that. Once you have the notes and rhythm down, you want to start perfecting your technique. Making sure you are holding each note for it's full duration and playing legato, playing with the appropriate velocity etc. Don't just hit the notes and repeat the patterns mindlessly....study them. Make sure your playing legato while minding your finger position. Make sure you have control of how loudly or softly you should be playing.

One thing you do not want to do is force your self to play at full tempo....You actually want to start playing slow at first so you can hit the keys accurately and develop your muscle memory to be precise. After a good nights sleep (when the skills you learned are transferred to long term memory) you will find your playing will has improved and you should be able to bump up the tempo with ease.

To answer your question though, if you score 100 at reduced tempo, it still gives you credit for the perfect score, but I have noticed you receive fewer achievement points.

I hope you find this information useful. Happy playing.

mbhuff

Re: Slowing tempo down and score

Post by mbhuff » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Understood. Perspective is always good. I'm not mechanically trying to hammer through lessons. Flow or legato is coming along.

Thanks for the feed back.
Michael
Michael
:ugeek: