YAMAHA DGX-640 does not play the accompaniments from Playground through its speakers

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Mac
RonaldoLacayo

YAMAHA DGX-640 does not play the accompaniments from Playground through its speakers

Post by RonaldoLacayo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 am

My YAMAHA DGX-640 CANNOT play the accompaniments from Playground through its speakers! Is this NOT POSSIBLE? or anybody has an answer; "I will be happy if anybody can help, please!"
Ronaldo (in California, USA)

thomas1018
Site Admin

Re: YAMAHA DGX-640 does not play the accompaniments from Playground through its speakers

Post by thomas1018 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

All of the sounds come through the app, either through your computer's or iPad's speakers. There is no way to send the piano, accompaniments, metronome, etc. through your keyboard's speakers.

Alunap

Re: YAMAHA DGX-640 does not play the accompaniments from Playground through its speakers

Post by Alunap » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 am

I don't have a Yamaha, and I had a look through the manual online and it doesn't look like it can, but I may be wrong. The first thing needed is to be able to send sound out through the USB cable. For this you would want the usb/midi driver from yamaha. For the Korg Kronos this allows me to select it as a sound source and destination as well as midi, check that the yamaha driver also allows this. If it does, when you plug it in you can select it as the output device in Playground, in the Edit menu, User Settings. This will send accompanyment, but not video tutorial sound. For that you would need to redirect all sounds to the same device, which you can do via the 'Sound' system preference, or via the menu bar sound menu if you have that switched on.

However, the question remains whether the Yamaha is able to route sounds coming in via USB to its speakers. In the Korg Kronos you can, but I don't see anything in the Yamaha menu that suggests this. The alternative, if you have external speakers available, it to send the sound to a mixer and hence to speakers. Otherwise, I'm afraid you are stuck with playing the accompaniment sound via the computer speakers.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:38 am

The DGX series do not yet have USB-Audio interface capability and the DGX-640 doesn't have an Aux Audio Input. The only reasonable option is to push the iPad audio to external speakers.

My Yamaha MX-49 can take USB-Audio - but it doesn't have speakers, so all sounds would still need to go to external speakers, but they would at least only come from one source. But I don't use the MX-49 for Playground Sessions - I use my YPG-635 (same as a DGX-630). I route all audio to a small mixer and then on to monitor speakers.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --