Hanging on OS X High Sierra?

General user help and bug reports for Playground Sessions for Mac
adama

Hanging on OS X High Sierra?

Post by adama » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I have problems with playground sessions hanging for the last two days. This happens at the end of a song when the score should be being uploaded about half the time. It started after I updated to macOS High Sierra so maybe that's it?

briggsm

Re: Hanging on OS X High Sierra?

Post by briggsm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am

Hey there,

Wondering if you have been able to figure this problem out? I'm seeing it too. I've tried tons of different things, but can't seem to figure it out. If you did figure it out, can you post a solution? If not, maybe we can try to compare our setups and see if we can figure out what's going on. I've learned a lot by debugging, but I haven't found the problem/solution yet.

If there is anybody reading this who is SUCCESSFULLY running Playground Sessions on a Mac running "High Sierra", can you please reply and let us know - just so we're SURE that this app does run successfully on MOST Macs running High Sierra, and that it's likely something on our High Sierra system conflicting with Playground Sessions.

Thanks!

briggsm

Post by briggsm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:43 am

Here's some extra info on my system, and some things I learned:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2013),16GB RAM, High Sierra (10.13.2), NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

When the app crashes, I have over 8GB RAM free, and nothing is heavily using the CPU.

I also first noticed the crash/freeze when a song completed. Every few minutes or so.

Now, I can quite easily recreate the crash just by loading 1 of my purchased songs, clicking right hand and left hand, then clicking "Play" & just sitting back and listening to the song. No USB keyboard plugged in. Just app playing a song. And it crashes - if not the first song, then the 2nd song. When it crashes like this, the GUI freezes (and the left & right hand piano playback stops), but the background track keeps playing all by itself. If I try to click anywhere in the app, I get the rainbow spinner. The only thing I can do is Right-Click on the app in the Dock and "Force Quit".

Here's some things I tried:
  • Connected to Wi-Fi. Crashes.
  • Connected to just Ethernet. Crashes.
  • No internet connection at all. Crashes.
  • Connected to VPN & Disconnected from VPN. Crashes in both cases.
  • USB Keyboard plugged into laptop & unplugged from laptop. Crashes in both cases.
  • I went to “Help”, “Clear Playground Data” - I checked every box. Restarted app. Still crashes.

jober

Post by jober » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I already wrote about her on the forum. This is very disappointing. What is going on? I like the PS concept but the execution is sorely lacking.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am

Have you emailed them? Every issue I've had has quickly been addressed by direct contact with Playground Sessions.

briggsm

Post by briggsm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 am

Yeah, I emailed and called support. Took a while to get a response from tech support, but they did eventually get back to me.

And yes, thankfully they did acknowledge that this is a known issue, and it's being worked on as a first priority. (Thank you tech support team!) I was told they would send me weekly updates as they worked on this issue - so I'd suggest contacting support if you would also like to receive weekly updates on this issue.