A Wink and A Smile

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
MegNM

A Wink and A Smile

Post by MegNM » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:17 pm

Hi, I'm having trouble knowing how to play measures 7 & 8 in the advanced version of A Wink and A Smile. I unfortunately cannot reach the notes because my hand is too small. The notes are for the treble clef d and f, d# and f# and then e and g. I know there is probably a way to adapt the notes so I can play something other than what is written, but I don't have enough knowledge to know how to do this or what it should be changed to. I would love some advice. I would also love to be able to learn how to do this so I can adjust notes in future songs that I can't reach. I appreciate any help given. Thanks!

sw1tch73ch

Re: A Wink and A Smile

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm not to advanced yet, so I don't have anything sage to say specifically about that.

One thought does occur to me though. We all set goals of reaching some mythical standard. But this software is for learning piano, no reaching perfection. While I do strive for 100%, I have a few times let it go at a slightly lower score. So, he's the thought:

Play the notes as a roll, start with the low not, play into the middle as high as you can comfortably manage with that first note on the beat (or at least in time) and then roll your hand up to reach that note that you can't do all at once, letting go of the lowest first note. You'll get docked for playing late, but that's okay. You should still be able to score well into the 90% range and mark the lesson completed, even if a small percentage of notes are marked as incorrect.

The idea is to play musically, and if you listen, often pop music plays loose with timing in order to get all the notes together, even if not completely simultaneous. Enjoy the sounds of it even when the program marks you down. In real life, playing for fun, for yourself, friends and family, no one will think you didn't play it right - because you are playing it your way.

100% to the programs requirement might be out of reach (pun not intended, at least not originally) but playing well isn't.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Henrik Stromberg

Post by Henrik Stromberg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:39 am

MegNM wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:17 pm
Hi, I'm having trouble knowing how to play measures 7 & 8 in the advanced version of A Wink and A Smile. I unfortunately cannot reach the notes because my hand is too small. The notes are for the treble clef d and f, d# and f# and then e and g. I know there is probably a way to adapt the notes so I can play something other than what is written, but I don't have enough knowledge to know how to do this or what it should be changed to. I would love some advice. I would also love to be able to learn how to do this so I can adjust notes in future songs that I can't reach. I appreciate any help given. Thanks!
You mean Wink and a Smile by Harry Connick Jr. (https://musescore.com/official_scores/scores/6972662) ?

GilbertPromi

-

Post by GilbertPromi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:34 pm

It agree, your idea is brilliant
Create

Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:17 am

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:43 pm
I'm not to advanced yet, so I don't have anything sage to say specifically about that.

One thought does occur to me though. We all set goals of reaching some mythical standard. But this software is for learning piano, no reaching perfection. While I do strive for 100%, I have a few times let it go at a slightly lower score. So, he's the thought:

Play the notes as a roll, start with the low not, play into the middle as high as you can comfortably manage with that first note on the beat (or at least in time) and then roll your hand up to reach that note that you can't do all at once, letting go of the lowest first note. You'll get docked for playing late, but that's okay. You should still be able to score well into the 90% range and mark the lesson completed, even if a small percentage of notes are marked as incorrect.

The idea is to play musically, and if you listen, often pop music plays loose with timing in order to get all the notes together, even if not completely simultaneous. Enjoy the sounds of it even when the program marks you down. In real life, playing for fun, for yourself, friends and family, no one will think you didn't play it right - because you are playing it your way.

100% to the programs requirement might be out of reach (pun not intended, at least not originally) but playing well isn't.
A good way out of the trouble situation :ugeek:
I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-software