GOD ONLY KNOWS by The Beach Boys Triplets

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
Jarl

GOD ONLY KNOWS by The Beach Boys Triplets

Post by Jarl » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:46 am

So I’m learning “God Only Knows” at the intermediate level. It’s going ok but the song is full of quarter note triplets which are a pain to count. I can do them at the slow speed (72 bpm) but faster than that it’s too much to say. For example I would count (1tri-plet2-triplet 3 and 4 and) for a measure that starts with a quarter note triplet and ends with 2 quarter notes. It’s a lot to say! So just wondering if anyone else had some tips/tricks.
Thanks
Hopefully that makes sense :?:

SJunior22

Re: GOD ONLY KNOWS by The Beach Boys Triplets

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:47 am

Hi Jarl!

For triplets, I always use the phonetic-counting method as ( one-and-uh, two-and-uh, three-and-uh, four-and-uh...etc..).

Anytime I deal with triplets (no matter the type of music genre), I imagine a couple dancing the Waltz in a very loud ballroom. If the song is fast, I "speed up" the dancing couple and if its slow, I slow them down. I "hear" their steps and thats my metronome.

If there are quarter notes/etc along with the triplets, I imagine the "dancing couple", stepping in sync on the "strong beat (2 or 4)" with the approprate "pauses" on the "weaker beats" (1 or 3) or vice versa.

I hope this helps in some way. I wish you all the best!

Jarl

Re: GOD ONLY KNOWS by The Beach Boys Triplets

Post by Jarl » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:15 am

SJunior22 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:47 am
Hi Jarl!

For triplets, I always use the phonetic-counting method as ( one-and-uh, two-and-uh, three-and-uh, four-and-uh...etc..).

Anytime I deal with triplets (no matter the type of music genre), I imagine a couple dancing the Waltz in a very loud ballroom. If the song is fast, I "speed up" the dancing couple and if its slow, I slow them down. I "hear" their steps and thats my metronome.

If there are quarter notes/etc along with the triplets, I imagine the "dancing couple", stepping in sync on the "strong beat (2 or 4)" with the approprate "pauses" on the "weaker beats" (1 or 3) or vice versa.

I hope this helps in some way. I wish you all the best!
Thank you so much for replying. I’ve used the one and uh for swing but didn’t think to try it on triplets. I’m going to give it a try.
Appreciate it.