Stairway to Heaven

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
SSC-Piano

Stairway to Heaven

Post by SSC-Piano » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 am

I am struggling with the finger numbering indicated on Stairway to Heaven Rookie Hard. It just does not make sense to me. I attached a PDF file with finger numbers that make more sense to me. Some seem to me to be outright incorrect. Can you look at this and let me know if you agree with some of my suggestions?

This program is great!

Thank you!
Attachments
Stiarway to Heaven_Rookie Hard.pdf
(154.65 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

thomas1018
Site Admin

Re: Stairway to Heaven

Post by thomas1018 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

All fingering is "suggested fingering". If you find a fingering that you works better for you, then go for it!

SSC-Piano

Re: Stairway to Heaven fingering errors

Post by SSC-Piano » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

I appreciate the fact that it is suggested fingering, but if the fingering as laid out does not make sense or can be improved you have a history of updating the sheet music. The problem I have is that it maybe suggested fingerings but I can not change the fingering to my own on my interactive sheet music. If I could update the fingering on the interactive sheet music that would be fabulous (great software improvement). It would be WAY too challenging to memorize as many changes as I suggested when visually seeing a different number especially when the primary playing method taught thus far is based upon fingering notations. Are you saying that from your perspective you think Stairway to Heaven is currently notated the best way to play the music? I agree some of my suggestions are more subjective than others, but can you explain how in the first measure starting with your 4th finger on A it makes more sense to play E next with finger number 2 versus 1? In measure 8 surely you don't intend the player to play the E with finger 3 versus my change to 5. The fingering in measure 13 & 14 does not make sense considering how the fingering is mapped in measure 15. I would appreciative a thoughtful reply. Thank you

SSC-Piano

Post by SSC-Piano » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 am

bump

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:16 pm

I made the following changes in Intro 1:

Measure 1 - 1 on E
Measure 8 - 5 on E
Measure 13 - 4 on E

In order to see the changes, click the album art. You should be prompted with a new download.

We usually do not spend time changing fingerings in a song unless we believe it's absolutely necessary. Accompaniments and syncing issues are more urgent to us because they can prevent someone from playing a song. Fingerings do not prevent users from playing songs because the are suggested. Remember, you can always toggle the fingerings on and off, or change them to letter names in the toolbar.

I agree 100% with you about letting users swap the default fingerings for their own within the interactive sheet music. I will forward this suggestion to the tech team!

LTChance

Post by LTChance » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Just wanted to second having the option to edit the finger numberings on the sheet music. That would be an incredible feature! Also, if you gave us the option to BOLD the number, that would address annotating the hand position changes as well, without you guys having to expend time on going through the music identifying all of the hand changes.