Alika Intermediate Rest on Base Clef

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
richgrissom

Alika Intermediate Rest on Base Clef

Post by richgrissom » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:48 pm

Question on the rest that shows above the first note on the Base Clef, how do I interpret the rest above the whole note or half note in each measure?
alika.jpg
alika.jpg (362.3 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
Last edited by richgrissom on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tandeitnik

Re: Alika Intermediate Rest on Base Clef

Post by tandeitnik » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:22 am

It looks like that the left hand is playing a two voice harmony. The rest there is for the second voice apparently.

richgrissom

Post by richgrissom » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Okay, you knew this was going to happen, what is two voice harmony, and how is it played?

tandeitnik

Post by tandeitnik » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 am

Two voice in piano is when you play notes with different timing and style with the same hand. Like finger 2 playing an A for a half note and finger 4 playing a F for a quarter note and with stacatto. You can play many voices with one hand instead of just playing one note or a group of notes with the same timing and style. Two voicing is have a frequent occurence in classical music.

Being more technical, voicing in music means how many notes you can play at the same time on an instrument. A piano with 88 keys have an 88 note polyphony, i.e. you can play 88 notes at the same time theoretically (since we normally have 10 fingers, we can play 10 notes at the same time). A flute, on the other hand, is monophonic, you can only play one note at a time.

So, how do you play it? In the image you posted, for example, in the fifth measure, you simply play the B note with your fifth left finger for a full measure and a F with your first left hand finger for a eighth dotted note plus a half note (after a eighth rest).

Obs: When I said harmony, I meant about the left hand. Normally the left hand plays the harmony of the piece and the right hand plays the melody. Two voincing can happen either on the right hand or on the left hand.

richgrissom

Post by richgrissom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the information, and the detailed explanation! I have looked over the internet and my music books for the explanation but I can't find any answers as why the rest has to indicated for the left hand. Thanks again!

tandeitnik

Post by tandeitnik » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:08 pm

The rest have to be indicated because the left hand is divided in two voices. If there wasn't a rest you wouldn't be able to say in what beat that voice begins (with no rest notation it could becing at beat 0 or at beat 1/2, since it's a 1/2 rest the voice begins to play at beat 1/2).