Air on the G string

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
polyphonic

Air on the G string

Post by polyphonic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 am

Hi,

I;m trying to the learn how to play Air on the G string, and I have a question on the bar in the attachment.
How can I play the A in the middle of the tie on the A?
I've also tried to play different variations on it, but always get an error on either of the notes.
Thanks!
air_piano.png
air_piano.png (29.83 KiB) Viewed 7836 times

sw1tch73ch

Re: Air on the G string

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Wow - that would be a neat trick! I hope someone answers because now I want to know too.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

EIS

Post by EIS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

The line above the phrase is probably a slur rather than a tie.

oquinc

Post by oquinc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Even if it is a slur, the first A is a half note so either way it should theoretically be held until beat 3, long after the left hand is supposed to play the same A.

In my experience, piano scores sometimes require a more liberal interpretation than a mechanical one. Here is a similar example from Moonlight Sonata:

https://imgur.com/a/UQgnlbh

The right hand plays the quarter-note E on beat 1, but then is told to play the same E on the third note of the first triplet figure, i.e., at the same time that the middle finger is still supposed to be holding that note down. Obviously this is impossible, so you just have to release the first E a little earlier than is strictly indicated by the score (it helps that this piece uses the sustain pedal throughout).

I don't know this Bach piece so I don't know if you use the sustain pedal in it (I'm guessing not). If you don't, it would sound bizarre to use it only for this half measure.

On the iOS app, at least, you aren't penalized for incorrect note durations. So it seems to me that you could hold the A in the right hand up until the sixteenth-note A in the left hand, play the A with the left hand, then play that A again with the right hand on beat 3. I don't know what that would sound like in practice, but I don't believe the software would penalize you for that.

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm

An answer to this would be great, since the software treats the bow as both a slur and a tie... first and second A's should be played, the third (that would fall together with the B) should not, according to the scoring system. That is also what the right hand demo sounds like. But if it's a slur both the second and third A should sound; if it's a tie neither should sound.

The notation used is just plain confusing and should, imho, be corrected. I would recommend lowering the second A in measure 3 by one octave which should make it clear and playable (and better sounding). Not for small hands, though.

The same issue is in (at least) measures 4, 9, and 10.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:42 pm

I've forwarded this to Thomas, who takes care of all notation issues. I understand that it's pretty ambiguous. I agree that the 2nd A could just be lowered an octave. It still fits within an octave for the whole line of music, which is typical for one hand.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com