Piano playback intensity

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
kidahl

Piano playback intensity

Post by kidahl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Sometimes I feel that the computer-played piano try to stab the keyboard to death :D

I believe it plays with the most heavy impact possible. This is not pleasant to listen to when I listen to the song for the first time.

I like to use computer-playback of one hand when I practice the other. Sometimes the computer playback completely drowns out my part unless I hit really hard on the keys as well.
Maybe the piano playback could be recorded by a human together with the backing music? It would be nice to listen to a good performance of the song both for inspiration and accompaniment.

seant23
Site Admin

Re: Piano playback intensity

Post by seant23 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey @kidahl,

Our in app piano should have 5 different velocity sounds for each key. So if you press the key softly you will get a different sound than if you hit the key hard. Are you hearing the same sound regardless of velocity?

Another idea that jumps to mind, is you could try playing with the audio levels in the Settings Prompt. Each person is a little different with what sounds good to our ears.

kidahl

Post by kidahl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:55 am

When I play myself, the impact level is correctly replayed. If I enable the computer playback in the upper right menu, this seems to be stuck on maximum impact.

So if I play the right hand and set up the left hand to be played by the computer, the result is not very good.
If I lower the piano volume it also affect the volume of my own playing.

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Ah, that's a really good point. I believe the Piano Button does play at top velocity. We should definitely change this to be more of a normalized velocity. I've added a ticket for this improvement:

http://jira.playgroundsessions.com:8080/browse/PG-228

Thanks for the feedback sir!

Cathleen

Post by Cathleen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:28 am

Once i engage in myself personally, your impression amount will be appropriately replayed. Only make it possible for your laptop or computer playback within the higher suitable menus, this is caught on maximum impression.

And so plainly engage in the proper side and also build your remaining side to become performed by the laptop or computer, the results will be not very good.
Only reduced your violin level what's more, it impact the amount connected with my own participating in.

antikewl

Post by antikewl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've noticed that PGS only appears to give couple of intensities when I hit a note: Loud, or loud with a bit of reverb if I hit a key really hard.

I thought it was my keyboard at first, but I've just tried playing in Garage Band and a couple of other apps and the key presses definitely go from soft to loud depending on how hard I hit the key. Maybe it's adjustable in a setting that I've missed?

I usually play with the piano sounds coming from the piano (Casio CDP-120) itself and the computer turned down, but was just trying it out tonight on headphones through the computer so I've only just noticed this.

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:15 pm

antikewl wrote:I'm not sure if this is related, but I've noticed that PGS only appears to give couple of intensities when I hit a note: Loud, or loud with a bit of reverb if I hit a key really hard.
Hmm, that's strange, our virtual synth has 5 different velocity sounds per key. So you should be able to hear up to 5 different sounds/volumes of sounds per key. When you press the key softer you should hear the soft sound. When ever you press a key on your controller/keyboard, it sends a velocity # between 1-127, this is what we use to choose the right sound out of the 5 to play. Maybe your keyboard is only sending high velocity numbers? You can test with some little MIDI programs like MIDI-OX (PC) or MIDI-monitor (OSX).

antikewl

Post by antikewl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi Sean, thanks for your response. I just checked out MIDI Monitor and I get a 1 if I press very softly and 120 if I whack a key, and varying numbers in between when I press with different weights. So it looks like my piano is behaving as it should. As I said, I seem to get more levels of intensity inside of apps like GarageBand.

lovecrazy

Post by lovecrazy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:44 pm

I've just tried playing in Garage Band and a couple of other apps and the key presses definitely go from soft to loud depending on how hard I hit the key. Maybe it's adjustable in a setting that I've missed????

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 am

lovecrazy wrote:I've just tried playing in Garage Band and a couple of other apps and the key presses definitely go from soft to loud depending on how hard I hit the key. Maybe it's adjustable in a setting that I've missed????
The piano velocity should be responsive to how you play your keyboard. What kind of keyboard are you using? Some keyboards are built to only play one velocity (hard).