Tied chords (or not) that change notes

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
mikefrey

Tied chords (or not) that change notes

Post by mikefrey » Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 am

Has anyone come across a situation in the sheet music where chords are tied together but one of the notes changes from the beginning to the end? I am working on My Country Tis of Thee in the second lesson where this happens. If I can figure out how to post a screen shot in Windows I will share it on here.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.61 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
Last edited by mikefrey on Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Tied chords that change notes

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 am

Possibly only the lower note is tied? Or maybe it's meant to be played slurred? How does it play it in demo mode?

I think if both notes were meant to be tied, the tie would show above the notes, opposite the stems.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu May 02, 2019 10:58 am

sw1tch73ch is right, chord is not tied, only bottom note is

mikefrey

Post by mikefrey » Thu May 02, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks for the help, I guess that's the only explanation - only the bottom note is tied and the others get played like regular notes. First time I've seen that. It does play the untied notes individually in demo mode. May be a good idea for a bootcamp lesson.

andrewwegierski

Re: Tied chords (or not) that change notes

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Mike,

This is fairly common in piano music. Most of the time it's notated as two separate voices, also called "double staving" - putting two lines onto one staff. So the F# would be a down stem and the D to A would be an up stem. But in our software, we don't want to have up stems in the bass clef, because that would cause clutter.

It's probably written this way because the melody plays that D, so we didn't want a voice crossing or double.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com