Modified Sheet Music - Right Now(Na Na Na) by Akon

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
Moreless

Modified Sheet Music - Right Now(Na Na Na) by Akon

Post by Moreless » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am

Hello all,

I've modified the sheet music for Akon's song Right Now (Na Na Na) for Intermediate - Moderate difficulty. I asked PGS Support if they could fix the fingering number/letters to be on top of the staff out of the way of the notation. They said it wasn't an option at the time.

Anyway, this is one of the early songs PGS came out with and it needs a lot of loving.

Here is the after and before images: https://imgur.com/a/9JCbfZI

You'll notice the lyrics are gone too.

The score is 10x easier to read and is much more enjoyable to play.

The score download is here: https://uploadfiles.io/0ordu20c

Download the XML file then replace the file here for Windows users: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Playground\Local Store\assets\Lesson-46

Enjoy!!

Mods if this is against the rules, please remove the post.

pavel

Re: Modified Sheet Music - Right Now(Na Na Na) by Akon

Post by pavel » Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 am

Good job! What a shame modification was done by end user. Developers, DO YOU SEE THAT? What are you doing? What are we paying you for?

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm

The developers have little to do with the actual scores. Still, the request for support should end up to the right team in Playground Sessions. Did they offer a reason they couldn't make the changes? A question to Moreless - which software did you use to fix the XML? They're using Sibelius, I believe.

As to the words, a lot of people have asked to have words included.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm
The developers have little to do with the actual scores. Still, the request for support should end up to the right team in Playground Sessions. Did they offer a reason they couldn't make the changes? A question to Moreless - which software did you use to fix the XML? They're using Sibelius, I believe.

As to the words, a lot of people have asked to have words included.
I opened the XML file in Notepad++ then reverse engineered the code using trial and error. That part took the longest. Once I knew what I was looking for, it took less than 5 minutes to make the all the changes.

I commented out the lyrics so PGS wouldn't read them using Replace All.

I used Replace All again for moving the fingering up the y-axis.

There are quite a few more songs where the fingering changes mid-way through the song even though the same notes are played. Instead of making requests to update the score, I am changing them manually now.

Some other ideas I've been playing with are:
  1. Writing myself notes on the sheet music for tricky areas. EX: Bolding or coloring or actual notes like "Move pinky right!!"
  2. Creating custom note scores for warm ups.
  3. Adding additional notes to scores for my improve. Playing extra notes gives a lower score otherwise, which is kind of annoying.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 pm

You expect Sibelius would have a "set fingering y=0.00" type thing for each staff. I've looked at MusicXML files before - I never got around to reverse engineering them! lol. Good work.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm

In all these XML files it references Sibelius being used. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Sibelius has a free version of their software for me to test this out in.

There is also some other weird stuff going on that might be out of our control. In the song The Climb it ends abruptly and awkwardly. Looking at the .ogg files the song should be able to be extended so the last hold note(s) sound pleasant. The sound files are plenty long enough. However, creating new measures does not seem to extend the song. PGS might have another option somewhere determining the length of the song that we can't see/edit in the XML files.

I was hoping I could combine multiple .ogg files with the XML files to create a MASSIVE playlist that never ends with breaks in between. Less clicking more playing! It also looks more seamless when performing for others.

I'm hoping a lot of these "features" i'm trying to brute force into the software can come out in an update. We need one bad at this point. It's been 2 years since we got a Desktop update. I'd call this software dead, but songs keep pumping out and there's always social media posts. PGS is in limbo with what it's trying to do and where it needs to go.