Benny and the jets, Advanced - IS FAKE

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
pavel

Benny and the jets, Advanced - IS FAKE

Post by pavel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 am

good morning to all, I am playing my first Advanced song and do not understand why it is not exactly how Sir Elton John composed. I can understand for Intermediate (or Rookie) it must be modified, or simplified if you will. But for Advanced? You know what? I will call it a fake song. Or do you plan to have fourth level, kinda expert/original where you can offer real original songs?

similar question here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17056
or here from 2017:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11728
or here
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16927

Why do I have a feeling it is not about "arrangement rubric" but about money or licencing? Since the very first day I was looking for that one day I will play a full real song. It took me 8 months to try first Advance song. And now I am very disappointed. If its not the real/original then must be fake. When I bought life licence nobody mentioned that library do not content full real song but rather modified.

Forum is not a place where to report bugs in the software, fine.
Forum is not a place where I can get software support, fine.
Do I regret my money? Ehmm, fifty fifty.
Will I continue using PGS? I will.
Will I report any other bug? No, I will not.
Will I try to finish Benny and the jets? Sure I will.
Did I buy another software? Oh yea, I did.
Would I recommend PGS to anybody else? Friend of mine already asked me which sw to buy. You might guess my answer.

MarcVanMeer

Re: Benny and the jets, Advanced - IS FAKE

Post by MarcVanMeer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:26 am

Hi Pavel,

I kinda understand your frustration. When browsing through the song library I noticed a lot of advanced songs are arranged in a way where the right hand plays the singing melody, instead of the original melody. So, at first, I was a little disappointed. But as I am progressing, I'm starting to think: if I am able to play an advanced PGS arrangement, how hard will it be to play the original song? ;)

Marc

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:14 am

Marc,
good assumption original song is close or very close to advance. Not in this case.
Apart from different number of notes and different place can you see arpeggio chord? :) (that wave) I doubt PGS can handle it.
Bennie And The Jets detail.png
Bennie And The Jets detail.png (42.52 KiB) Viewed 19879 times

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Advanced is relative. There has been talk of an expert level where the songs would exactly match the "real world" version.

There are a few things that mess up this plan.

One is it may be more expensive to pay the full royalties for the real world arrangement. Every music publisher has to make their own arrangements of current songs in order to sell sheet music for that song. Sometimes they can come to a good agreement with the company that owns the publishing
rights and can publish the original artist's arrangement. That's the publishing limitation.

Another is the idea that even the Advanced Playground Sessions level is a step (or two) below the performance level that caused the discussion of an Expert Level in the first place. I still think Playground Sessions should offer an expert level and charge more for the expert level arrangements to cover whatever is necessary to get there.

Possibly the idea is if your performing skills are up to the challenge of performing real world arrangements, that you don't need the app to learn them.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

pavel

Post by pavel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm
Sometimes they can come to a good agreement with the company that owns the publishing rights and can publish the original artist's arrangement.
even for Chopin? he is dead since 1849. Same as Beethoven, Bach ... etc They are all dead. No licensing (to my knowledge).

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:09 pm

pavel wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 pm
sw1tch73ch wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm
Sometimes they can come to a good agreement with the company that owns the publishing rights and can publish the original artist's arrangement.
even for Chopin? he is dead since 1849. Same as Beethoven, Bach ... etc They are all dead. No licensing (to my knowledge).
I'm thinking that's the part where the PGS Advanced isn't up to the Grade 8 Level standards.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

afaron

Post by afaron » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:44 pm

This is also true for classical songs, i tried "fur elise" and it is definitely a simplified version. Hungarian dance also i think, didn't tried others. I don't wanna waste time on songs if they are all simplified. I think we should have the option of original pieces, no matter the difficulty. I just have no will to learn simplified versions, i would rather struggle a bit more to learn the real deal.

I guess i will have to use other websites for song learning, and PGS for lessons. For now at least..

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

In making the Advanced versions of some of the songs, we do take some liberties to make them close to the original version, but not 100% exact. We do have plans to roll out an "Expert" level where you can expect that songs will be arranged exactly the way they are to the original version.

pavel

Post by pavel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:25 pm

davidsides wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:42 pm
Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

In making the Advanced versions of some of the songs, we do take some liberties to make them close to the original version, but not 100% exact. We do have plans to roll out an "Expert" level where you can expect that songs will be arranged exactly the way they are to the original version.
no sure if I have enough power to ask knowing I will not get the answer, anyhow. WHEN ? When we can except this? 2019? finally to have at least one original song? not fake anymore?
You should highlighted to all new potential buyers before they purchase the license that library DO NOT content proper original songs just only because you didn't pay for rights.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 am

Pavel,

David gave you an answer. Due to other priorities within our company, we don't have a timetable for the release of an expert level. But it is coming in the future.

It is a completely inaccurate representation of our product to claim that our content is fake.

And we do not refuse to obtain rights for songs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com