Easy versions of songs...

A place to discuss songs you're learning, difficulty levels, genres and more!
drummerJ99

Easy versions of songs...

Post by drummerJ99 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 pm

So I'm just wondering. How many beginners here go for the easy versions of songs compared to the regular or hard versions? Or is it better to just try and learn the the harder versions. On one hand it'd be fun to play the song, on the other I think it'd be better to learn the actual song then taking a shortcut. Plus once I get good enough to play the harder song, I'd have to rebuy that version. Idk just wondering other peoples thoughts.

Russ1409

Re: Easy versions of songs...

Post by Russ1409 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm a beginner, and I usually have a good idea if I can play the song or not by the rating and also looking at the preview page. I usually buy the song that I figure I can play and also the next level up. I even have several songs where I have all three versions :shock: I think the price is well worth it....just look up the cost of sheet music elsewhere like musicnotes.com and the Playground price seems very reasonable.

Sometimes I like to practice with the sheet music printed out. Once I'm happy (or more likely, bored) with a song at my level, I will take the next level up and incorporate sections of the harder version into my easier version, just for fun and to add a little something to my version of the song. This has helped me understand how we go from "one finger" left hand to the chords or partial chords in the next level. It also helps me "dumb down" a song in other purchased music or a fake book so at least I can play the melody and some partial chording in a song that's, as yet, too advanced for me.