Feature Request: Automatic stop at error

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Lusion

Feature Request: Automatic stop at error

Post by Lusion » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 am

I would love to have the program stop when an error is made, take it back 8 bars and count me in, that'd be really neat for songs where we can play the start no problem but get to a bit (often a hand position change) that's tricky.. just saves playing through a point we know very well and lets us deal with the problem more directly :)

thomas1018
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Automatic stop at error

Post by thomas1018 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Lusion,

Have you made use of the looping function? You can click and drag your mouse across difficult areas in the music. Then, click the button that says "Toggle Looping". After you do this, press play and practice the section. The section will continuously repeat, and you can stop it when you believe you have perfected it.

Lusion

Post by Lusion » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Hey Thomas,

Yeah, the loop feature is nice :) but i'd still love to have what I proposed as an option.. I feel like such a feature would help pinpoint the problamatic areas in the instant and be a rather unique feature to the prrogram!

Of course, the loop feature has been a nice help and IS an excellent feature!

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 am

I can forward your idea to our head of technology, however, I do not think we are in a position to change the software. From a technology perspective, this suggestion might be complicated to pull off...Stay tuned...you never know what will come next!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 am

I actually like that the system doesn't stop just because I made an error. One of my difficulties is that I do stop when I do something I know isn't correct. Imagine you are playing accompaniment for someone and stopped just because of a foul note! It will sound bad and you'll wish you had played better, but the folks you are playing along with will much prefer you keep going, back on track as soon as possible. So I use the "it keeps going" feature to force myself to pick up, at the current place with hopefully correct notes! During practice I do occasionally go wildly off track and essentially abort that play through, getting a really low practice score. I try to let those be the exception rather than the rule. I want to be able to survive making an error and to keep going.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

Those are great points. We've actually been talking a lot about this type of capability, so it's definitely coming. Rather than forcing everyone into it we'll more likely give you all the option to pick one way or the other - either have the program flow continuously despite any missed notes, or have the program move forward only after you've played the notes correctly. The best of both worlds. :)