How long should I leave fingering numbers on?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Lusion

How long should I leave fingering numbers on?

Post by Lusion » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 am

I can read sheet music - slowly - i'm confident with anything from B to A, but once it goes in the upper, or lower parts I have to remind myself of FACE / ACEG..

The way i've been playing so far, is with fingering numbers on. I'm wondering though.. how long, and when should I take numbering off? I feel like i'm relying on the fingering numbers and not yet learning the tricker keys.. will it come with time as I play more, or should i remove the numbering now? I have finished the beginner bootcamp and had played piano for 3 years when younger :) Thank you!

draco2023a

Re: How long should I leave fingering numbers on?

Post by draco2023a » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

The simple answer is, for as long as you feel you need them. But you want to get working on your sight-reading ASAP.

A good place for you to start would be to print out some sheet music and go bar by bar identifying and marking each note.

There is also a program called presto-keys that is very helpful.

if you want something free, go here http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Hello again, Lusion!

I have been playing music my whole life, and reading music is always at the top of my practice list. There are several approaches you can take:

Approach 1:
Find a section of music, and disable the fingering. Do not press play, just read the notes on the screen. Don't worry about rhythm. You need to test your knowledge of the notes on the staff. By eliminating the rhythmic values, you aren't under pressure to play the notes perfectly in time. There is one downside to using this approach with Playground Sessions, you cannot get an accuracy score. You need to go on your own knowledge of the notes.

Approach 2:
Find a section of music, and disable the fingering. Click the change tempo button, and lower the tempo to VERY SLOW SPEEDS. For example, take a song that has a normal tempo of 120 bpm. Lower the metronome speed to less than half, let's say 40 bpm. You work on 2 things: reading the notes on the staff notation and playing music in time. Sight reading music combines these 2 crucial elements I just mentioned. Most people fail at playing music in time, in other words, playing accurate rhythms. When you practice at comically slow speeds, you are still playing music in time with accurate rhythms, and you are giving yourself enough time to play the correct notes. This approach works great with Playground Sessions because you get the instant feedback!

I hope this helps you out!

Lusion

Post by Lusion » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Thank you both draco & thomas!

Thomas, method 2 sounds super ideal, thanks for the guidance there, draco, both of those programs are mint :) musictheory.net is nice too as i can practice it when on the train / a dentist waiting room or whatever on my phone :)

Much apprecaited guys.

bwsmithna@live.com

Post by bwsmithna@live.com » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks from me, as well. Was just wondering the same thing. Played horn in band for years, so treble clef is no problem...bass clef needs practice.