Is this a realistic goal?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
foreverman23

Is this a realistic goal?

Post by foreverman23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:00 am

Good evening-

Very excited about getting into a routine and doing some practice and learning some songs. Big fan of this software!

I definitely can't sight read, and am a beginner, especially when it comes to reading music. I know this software will certainly help. I was wondering, is it a realistic goal at all to also try and aim to memorize songs so one can play without the sheet music? Or is it simply better to focus strictly on reading music and making sure to always utilize sheet music when playing any songs? Before I discovered this software, I utilized tutorials on youtube and other resources which heavily relied on memorization or improvisation(very little, if any at all, music reading involved). So starting out with this, my mind has been stuck in that mode. Honestly, if its practical at all, I would love to play from memory, accurately, if possible. But, as stated, I am not sure if this is very realistic.

I just wanted to get any thoughts on this as I want to get as much out of this and be as efficient as possible.

Thanks! :)

draco2023a

Re: Is this a realistic goal?

Post by draco2023a » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi Foreverman,
When you are learning a song, the process of practicing over and over again to get it right pretty much makes memorization an automatic thing. It is not really something you need to focus on. It kinda just happens.

The funny thing about memory is that research has shown that it is not stored in one area of the brain. As we learn piano, several physiological changes are taking place in the brain. As we play, the brain is capturing data and storing it in short term memory in each of the associated sensory areas of the brain. So visual information is stored in the visual cortex, audio in the auditory cortex and the movements we make while playing are stored in the motor cortex. Keep in mind, short term memories do not last long. As we sleep, Important information is transferred to long term memory (tasks that we repeat on a regular basis and event's that evoke an emotional response seem to be deemed most important ((On that note, you will find that pieces you enjoy playing are lot easier to learn and remember because of the strong positive emotional response we experience while playing them)))

The process or creating long term memories is not simply information storage. Physical pathways, feedback loops and reflexive (automatic, subconscious) behaviors are also created between the memories and the associated sensory areas of the brain (there are many types of reflexive behaviors but muscle memory is one example) ...You will find that the more you play, the less you have to think about what your hands are doing.

As far as learning to read music, it is a skill you definitely want to work on developing and is something every musician should incorporate into their daily practice routine...The first step is learning where the notes are on the staves...Check out http://www.musictheory.net/ They have a bunch of lessons and exercises that can be invaluable for learning to read music....Once you are comfortable identifying the notes..the next step is learning to sight-read....for that I would recommend presto keys pro. (the free version does not allow you to use a midi keyboard for note input) http://www.prestokeys.com/

Other skills that can help immensely are
- getting to know your Major and minor scales which is also very easy (There really is NOTHING hard about music theory...much of it is akin to basic math LOL). Once you know the major scales, the minor scales are simple to learn as each minor scale is relative to a major scale. For example; C major's relative minor is A minor. You play the exact same keys as C major, but start on A instead of C. This is true of every natural minor scale and it's relative Major.

To figure out each Major Key's relative minor all you need to do is start at the key's tonic and count down three half steps. So Db relative minor is Bb, The notes you play for Db Major are Db, Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb and C...The notes you play for Bb minor are Bb, C, Db, Eb, F, Gb, and Ab...Same exact notes, different tonic

Harmonic minor scales are nearly identical to Natural minor scales...The only difference is that the 7th note is raised by a half step (semitone)

Melodic minor scales are also built on Natural minor scales...the only difference is that going up the scale the 6th and 7th notes are raised a half step..but going down the scale you play the natural minor scale.

Learning to read chords is almost a simple as reading single notes....it is just a mater doing the math, learning the patterns and recognizing them on the sheets

I will never understand why many piano teachers put off learning scales when they are so simple and knowing them is integral to learning to read notation and in turn develop your sight-reading

Study the circle of 5ths and quiz yourself using the key signature exercises on musictheory.net

Ear training should be your next goal. again there is an exercise on music theory help you with this.....(every thing on musictheory.net is free and fully customizable.

you will also want to perfect your rhythm. Earmaster pro is an invaluable tool for this.

Learning to read sheet music is the simplest part of sight-reading and with consistent study, anyone should be able to learn to read scores almost as easily as reading a book.....the hardest part of sight-reading is learning to coordinate your movements with what your eyes are seeing.....but even that is not as hard as many people think

Practice these things daily and you will find your abilities progressing pretty rapidly.....I am talking in terms of weeks and months...not years :D

Good luck and if you have any questions....feel free to PM

foreverman23

Post by foreverman23 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks a ton for the information and the support! I didn't know about some of the other additional resources you mentioned so I really look forward to bettering myself. So it sounds like memorization is just more of an end result, as long as I continue to learn and apply and practice, good to hear. Thanks again! :)

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:14 am

No problem :)