Learning the notes

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Smash54

Learning the notes

Post by Smash54 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Since I am just starting out what should I be more focused on just following the numbers or learning the notes.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Learning the notes

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Learn the notes. Use the numbers to determine where to put your hands for now, and as a crutch which finger to play at a given moment. Don't be in a hurry to ditch the numbers, I'm halfway through the Rookie Boot Camp and still use the numbers some. But Learn the notes. That's the long term goal and the sooner you are working on that the better in the long run.

As an aside, to all very beginners, I've discovered that the metronome is your friend. Use it! The melody that accompanies your practice only works at "half" speed and "full" speed. I recommend practicing each lesson at a slow speed and work your way up to full speed a few tempo clicks faster as you get comfortable with the lesson. If you try to go full speed right off but can't get coordinated, you'll just get frustrated. But if you start slow and work up to full speed, you will enjoy the practice more and be able to complete the full speed practice with out frustration when you are ready. At least that's how it works for me.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Smash54

Re: Learning the notes

Post by Smash54 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Thank you for the advise I do know what the frustrated feeling is like you want to smack your head against a wall. But every time I do get past something I thought I would never it feels so good.