Total Time Spent?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
icedog19

Total Time Spent?

Post by icedog19 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:08 pm

I love the feature that records how much time I have spent playing, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it appears that not all practice time counts towards this?

I spend a ton of time playing exercises using the loop function and at slower speeds, but I don't think any of that time gets recorded. It looks like the only time that counts is during runs on full speed with no loop.

Can we have all runs where a piano key stroke is registered count towards our total time spent? I find it valuable to know how much time I am spending.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Total Time Spent?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I noticed this too.

This is an old post, but I'm known for responding to old things.

At first I would play the music through without activating the "play" button, to get a feel for the notes, where the fingers fall, and so on. Then I'd work with the play button and get my scores. After about 10 hours of this type of practice I saw I only had about 15 minutes of accumulated time. That was a small surprise.

It took me a while longer to realize I could accomplish much the same thing, but get credit for it, by setting a fairly slow, OK, really slow, tempo for the first play through. Now I'm at around 22 hours credited time. I still do practice outside the program, and even some off-the-clock practice sometimes within Playground Sessions, but now the mismatch is not nearly so big.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Great request, and sw1tch, thanks for chiming in on this.

I'll forward this to our tech team to see if we can get this implemented. Knowing how much time you've devoted toward something is very useful information.

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:48 am

In the meantime you should be able to use something like Toggl Desktop to simply track the time you've been in the PGS application provided you're working on a computer (not iPad).

You may need to fiddle with idle detection if it doesn't detect MIDI inputs. Also, don't start reading the forums in app etc. or you'll skew the stats :) Good luck.