Learning songs

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
dragonflyspirit

Learning songs

Post by dragonflyspirit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 pm

I am wondering if it's possible to have the lyrics added to the songs. I feel it might be easier to learn if they had lyrics included on the sheet music.
Additionally I am having trouble with songs and bootcamp getting accuracy. I find if I play them "off line" without being graded I get through them but when I try doing the same exact lesson or song (as soon as I hit that little arrow to start) I make numerous mistakes, and my fingers at times just won't move to appropriate keys even though I know what they are. I feel so much pressure when trying to complete a lesson or song and be graded. ANY suggestsions for getting past this? and wondering if I am the only one that has encountered these limitations.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Learning songs

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

I knew all about the fingers disregarding the brain when playing in a "timed" setup. What works for me is to slow the Tempo way down and play against the tempo that I can manage to master, then increase the tempo in small increments. Eventually, I can keep up. Playing accurately at a slow tempo is actually more important for your muscle memory than playing inaccurately at the right tempo. So take it slow and build up to full speed. If you have trouble at the next faster tempo, slow down again and play it through several times, until you aren't making mistakes, then speed up a little bit.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi dragonflyspirit,

We used to offer lyrics on the interactive sheet music lessons a long time ago, but we did away with them. They made music very cluttered and difficult to read.

Also, I would follow sw1tch73ch's advice! :D

dragonflyspirit

Post by dragonflyspirit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Switch73ch and Thomas
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to be more patient and keep trying at a slower speed.