Recording each hand?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Wiltshiresaint

Recording each hand?

Post by Wiltshiresaint » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 am

This is a more general query about the PS software so apologies if I've posted it in the wrong place.

I'm about to sign up for permanent membership, and although I have a baby grand piano at home, as a beginner I want to buy an electronic keyboard to take advantage of all that PS has to offer.

I'm considering getting the Yamaha P115 because of its ability to let me record my playing, allowing me to record each hand separately so that I can practise one hand at a time before putting the two together. My question is, does the PS software let me do this anyway? I'm told in reviews it's a very good feature that makes the P115 a better buy than the P45 but if the feature is available via PS I'll probably just get the P45.

sw1tch73ch

Re: Recording each hand?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 am

The software does, at least for the songs I've tried so far, provide one hand at a time before joining both parts together. The software also works in small chunks at the beginning, working toward larger chunks and then finally the full song. One of the real and truly useful functions on a computer is to tune the tempo to your proficiency. The idea is to practice playing it correctly, if slowly, and work your way up the tempo until you are playing correctly at full speed.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Wiltshiresaint wrote:This is a more general query about the PS software so apologies if I've posted it in the wrong place.

I'm about to sign up for permanent membership, and although I have a baby grand piano at home, as a beginner I want to buy an electronic keyboard to take advantage of all that PS has to offer.

I'm considering getting the Yamaha P115 because of its ability to let me record my playing, allowing me to record each hand separately so that I can practise one hand at a time before putting the two together. My question is, does the PS software let me do this anyway? I'm told in reviews it's a very good feature that makes the P115 a better buy than the P45 but if the feature is available via PS I'll probably just get the P45.
In Playground, each song has a "Performance Mode" which allows you to record your playing. This mode is intended for you to record both hands at the same time, but there's no reason why you can't just record one at a time. I'm not sure if you're planning to record one hand at a time for small sections of music, or for longer sections of music, but the Performance Mode in Playground is designed to record the full song.

Wiltshiresaint

Post by Wiltshiresaint » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 am

Thanks for the replies, as someone almost entirely ignorant of digitial pianos I really appreciate the advice :)

I think I'm going to go for the P-115. My rationale is that I can learn through PG, but also with the Yamaha offering the facility to record one hand and then play along with the other hand once I get reasonably competant. I'll be able to do this with sheet music for songs that aren't currently available on PG as my playing develops.

I've just signed up for Lifetime Membership by the way. I have a baby grand acoustic piano that I inherited and which has just gathered dust for years, but I can't wait for the digital piano to be delivered so that I can really start to take advantage of the features of PG. Very excited!