Songs for accompaniment to singing

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Mach13

Songs for accompaniment to singing

Post by Mach13 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:50 am

Hi folks -- Okay so I've just joined up today. I haven't got started yet as my keyboard isnt set up just yet.. but Whats the best route to learning songs as an accompaniment to singing.

Any suggestions?
Keep plugging away coz...Progtid makd parfit, Pradtic mskes Pwrfegt, Practicd makez parfait, Praktiss maykes perfekt -keeping at it really works! eventually! :roll:

sw1tch73ch

Re: Songs for accompaniment to singing

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi, Mach.

They [the Playground Sessions folks] discussed somewhere that there might be some lessons coming specifically for that. My first thought is that you learn to play accompaniment a lot like you learn "Piano Solo" type songs like we are learning. The difference in playback is you don't play the melody. What you really want to learn are Chords, which show up in the Intermediate lessons.

Once you learn how to play chords, especially "broken chords" where you don't play all the notes together at once, you should be ready to accompany a singer. Right now, no Playground Sessions songs are specifically for accompanying someone else, but the piano playing techniques are the same. Something you can do is look at sheet music and notice that in very many cases, you would play everything you play for solo piano with the exception of the highest note - which is where the melody usually lives. Of course, right now, Playground will lower your score for not playing that top note - at least until the discussed "Accompanist" Course" shows up.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Mach13

Re: Songs for accompaniment to singing

Post by Mach13 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:57 am

Hi sw1tch73c
Thanks for that, I appreciate you chipping in. very helpful.
Best Rgds
Keep plugging away coz...Progtid makd parfit, Pradtic mskes Pwrfegt, Practicd makez parfait, Praktiss maykes perfekt -keeping at it really works! eventually! :roll: