Learning by reading notes not numbers

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
andrewwegierski

Re: Learning by reading notes not numbers

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Great suggestion! We'll definitely keep that in mind when adding to the Courses section of the app!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

nicholasgrove

Post by nicholasgrove » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 am

degerrum wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am
I am curious as to other people's experience weaning themselves off of the finger numbers and note letters when reading the music. I am also trying the method of going through a lesson on slow with the numbers, then switching to letters, then switching to just notes.affordable essay writing service
It does seem like the third time around I am just counting on memorization rather than reading the music however...
recommended method for learning to read music in hard ..

easyword

Post by easyword » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 pm

A lot of sheet music with fingering on them do not show a finger number for each and every note throughout an entire song. The fingering is shown the first time a particular note is to be played, and then a number above or below that note appears again only if a change of hand position or fingering occurs in the middle of the song. I find this approach to be better not only because the written music looks cleaner, less cluttered, but also because it makes the finger numbers less than a crutch. I know I can turn the numbers off completely in PGS, but I find the method described above to be an ideal transition from seeing numbers above or below every single note and turning them off completely. Also, this is quite similar to the way key signatures work (for example, no need to write a sharp sign for every F# note on a song written in G Major).

Is this approach to fingering aids that I just described something that could be implemented in PGS?

--Juan.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Juan,

I understand what you are describing. To be honest, no, that will probably not be implemented. Our current system is to put a finger number above every note, which is easiest for beginners to understand. I don't think this will change.

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

anielia

Post by anielia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:05 pm

A lot of sheet music is annotated with suggested fingerings by numbers, at least for the first time through a passage. So why would it be a problem to use the finger number clues as hints? You are reading the notes, and using the numbers to tell you when to change hand positions or move a thumb or finger over/under. Just my opinion.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:07 pm

When I join PS in July, I heard there is a new version will come out later of this year! I'm happy with the current version, but also looking forward to see the new one! :)

michael622

Post by michael622 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 am

I just started the lesson ytd and have the same confusion, as I always tend to look at the numbering instead of the note itself. So I think I should turn of the number system right away so as to force me to read the notes instead.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 am

michael622 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 am
I just started the lesson ytd and have the same confusion, as I always tend to look at the numbering instead of the note itself. So I think I should turn of the number system right away so as to force me to read the notes instead.
Try playing the lessons once or twice with the numbers on to get the hand positions. Then turn off the numbers and practice without them. The notes haven't moved, the keys haven't moved. Only your fingers move, and once you know where they belong you should be ok with just the notes on the screen.

I built up a set of landmarks, rather than rely on the mnemonics. So I learned the bottom Line of Bass Clef is G. That was the only one I worried about for a little while. Then that A is the top line. Then that C is the second space from the bottom. Then E is the second space from the top (or third from the bottom if you want). Then A is the space at the bottom and F is the second line from the top and that D is smack dab in the middle and that B is the second line from the bottom. I didn't memorize them bottom to top. I memorized the ones that made good new landmarks. Now I know all the lines and spaces of both clefs. And the spaces and lines between them. And then out to TWO ledger lines above treble and below bass. And so on.

It doesn't happen all at once and didn't happen in a day. But over time, I've come to know which is which. Now, playing at full tempo on first read is still well beyond me, but I can walk through a piece and read each note one at a time. It will take more time and more practice to get to really sight reading, but I'm getting there. You can too.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --