FINGERING VS LETTER OF NOTE NOTATIONS

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
sw1tch73ch

Re: FINGERING VS LETTER OF NOTE NOTATIONS

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon May 04, 2020 9:24 pm

Westman77 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:49 am
when i sight read little easy pieces i notice i rarely look at the note names itself.
i just see the note and know what key i need to press (its like automation).
i really don´t think about the names ABCDEFG most time except i got stuck.

Is that a good thing or should i focus more on WHAT note it is?
Do you know what the letter names are? If you know them, you might be past the point where reinforcing the names is the most benefit (it will probably never be of no benefit, but it will be diminishing returns at some point). When you see the G note symbol and can just play the proper G note key, you are doing well and I imagine if you had a live instructor sitting there to ask you, "what was the name of that note?" you would be able to answer reasonably quickly. If so, excellent!

Just remember that next time you're frustrated with your progress.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

emptynoise

Post by emptynoise » Wed May 06, 2020 11:31 am

when i sight read little easy pieces i notice i rarely look at the note names itself.
i just see the note and know what key i need to press (its like automation).
That's the smell of progress and improvement! It's a good thing, buuuuuuut...

Don't ignore them altogether and forget the note names/how to read them. As you progress you will eventually come across the topics of scales, keys, and chords. This falls under the topic of introductory music theory and provides a lot of insight into why some things sound good (or not). To simplify and shortcut the explanation, knowing the letter names will help people who learn some theory find shortcuts for understanding and playing music. PGS covers pretty much the entirety of must-know theory for just playing, but if you're curious and want to learn more (or need something to do between practice sessions) check out MusicTheory.net and Dave Conservatoire. Alternatively, those interested in classical music might prefer Open Music Theory. However, for anyone that does look into these resources keep in mind their simplicity is deceptive. Most of these sources represent years of study and the topics covered won't really be meaningful without sufficient practice or applying them in song analysis.

Westman77

Post by Westman77 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the answers and helpful tips.

Yes i know the note names.
even when i play them automated i can say it´s a G or D and so on.

Good to hear it´s some kind of progress :D

I still do note learning every day and sight reading stuff.
the bass clef is still not in my head and i struggle alot with it.
think this will take some more time till i have this one in my head :D
Bloody Beginner - Kawai CA-58