If you use a GPS to travel do you really know where you are?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Shacktor

If you use a GPS to travel do you really know where you are?

Post by Shacktor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:44 pm

My analogy applies to the learning methodology of PG sessions and others like youcisian, simply piano etc.

I used to play rocksmith (electric guitar connected to pc with real music similar to yousician method) and i learned to play the guitar "ok" on some fairly crazy metal and other hard solos/chords of the song selections. I never intended it to be used as a learning tool , it was a fun game that did teach me some guitar. However, when i wasn't "plugged" into the game i could not play anything. I never put anything i was doing into memory or real learning. I followed a moving bar and hit the notes as the colors flew by. Better i was the better the song sounded but disconnect me and ask me to play anything again.. i was lost. It's a game so it did not concern me. I enjoyed it for what it is but i do not claim to be a guitarist at all.

Moving on I decided i wanted to actually try to learn an instrument and felt piano is perhaps more suited for me. Researched all the online leaning apps and decided to try PG sessions. I am about 2 weeks in and going through the bootcamp and it is going well so far. However i am getting that same feeling again. Follow the bar on screen with the finger numbers above and i am alright. Take it away and i cant replay anything. This has me understandably concerned and questioning this learning type of methodology.

You always hear the testimonies from people on youtube or this website about how they are learning and doing well but they are either new or never tried to play "away" from the computer. So I am looking for people who have gone through all the bootcamps and been with the PGsessions for over a year with just this program tell me this works and you are now playing without the software at all.

thoughts?

sw1tch73ch

Re: If you use a GPS to travel do you really know where you are?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 pm

You should consider trying to play away from the moving bar every practice session. It won't work right away. I like to play through the lesson without hitting play. You have to manually scroll the music at times, but the idea isn't to play beautifully, but just to play at all. Once you can do that without the moving bar, you can work on whole songs from printed sheet music. The moving bar isn't what you follow, just an indicator that this is where you should be. The beats and metronome are more critical to learning to play in time - and the bar should be ignored, mostly.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

J_Piano

Re: If you use a GPS to travel do you really know where you are?

Post by J_Piano » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm having a similar issue. I was getting far, because I was using the numbers (which actually go away around lesson 7, and then come back as they introduce new notes) - so at lesson 7 when the numbers went away I knew that something was wrong and I needed to go back and redo the courses minus the visible numbers. For others maybe it works, since everyone learns differently. If you couldn't turn off the numbers that would be a real issue. I went back to and started doing the CDEFG right hand staff stuff without any numbers. It's going slower for sure, but I'm actually memorizing the connection between notes and keyboard.