counting while playing

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
pierrebs

counting while playing

Post by pierrebs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi,
It might seems odd a little since some people seems to "got rhythm" at birth :) but I'm strugling a bit in the rookie bootcamp lesson in the "couting out loud" while playing. is taht nor mal and is practice will fix it at some point. I'm really bad at rhythm and always been bad ...

Is there hope?

Pierre

Thanks.

SJunior22

Re: counting while playing

Post by SJunior22 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 am

Hi Pierre!

Since it appears no one has responded to your question, I thought I should since its quite common. Repetition of counting out loud is a way so that you can formulate some kind of rhythm subconsciously. By engaging "active thought" (counting out loud), both your conscious and subconscious facilities are "learning how to rhythm". As with any muscle (especially the biggest - BRAIN), repetition and effective practice will eventually lead to stronger sense of rhythm. Sooner or later, you will "feel" the rhythm without having to count out loud. Until then, count out loud.

Another tip: Go to sleep while listening to a metronome; set it to whatever beats per minute is "confortable" even "transe-like". As you progress, change the "BPM" (beats per minute) to faster tempos. As you fall asleep, you will eventually stop hearing the click, but your subconscious wont. If you have a loud clock, put that near you. You'll will at least train your brain to understand 60 BPM. Good luck!

~ sjunior22