Pending sign up- questions please

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
roninpianokawai

Pending sign up- questions please

Post by roninpianokawai » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Hello-
I have got my digital piano all set to go. I have a couple questions regarding the best set up. Maybe someone can help.

1. Best GUI/Interface?. I can sit a nice laptop on top of the keyboard where to music rest is. 13in screen. Or I can locate the laptop elsewhere and HDMI to a 65in TV (I'm about 15ft away). Or, I wonder if everyone feels the tablet (I would probably have to buy one) on the music stand is optimal? Or a laptop right on the stand (down of course) or HDMI to TV?

2. In my music room WiFi can be spotty depending on where the laptop will be located. Does PS phone home a lot during lessons or does it download and then just do it's thing as you are learning?

I was hoping to get an idea of best practice and register tomorrow and download. I could throw a pic up but not sure that is necessary. Any gotcha's, hints or answers would be appreciated. Thank you......

Gavala

Re: Pending sign up- questions please

Post by Gavala » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:45 am

I use a 13in Laptop and it works like a peach.

My Kawai ES8 is on a QuikLok Monolith stand with the additional QuikLok M2 second tier support arms. I then constructed a wooden shelf almost the width of the keyboard that has a bottom lip edge to support things whist the shelf is tilted forwards.

I can lift this shelf off with everything on it and replace it with the music stand if needed although I'm working on a way to incorporate some stand receptors in the shelf. I'll upload some images later.

As for the WiFi yes, it uploads after each lesson and part lesson although someone else from tech may be able to confirm that a delayed background upload may happen.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:48 pm

While I do use a Windows Tablet computer, I think a Laptop would be fine. Excellent even. You have the mouse (touch pad) and keyboard right there handy.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:33 am

You need a steady net connection for the "instant feedback" feature though. I don't get it why, but that's the way it is (I mean: the feedback green/red could be de-coupled from the fact that it's uploading your score at the end of the piece onto your online dashboard).

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 am

FlatPanda wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:33 am
You need a steady net connection for the "instant feedback" feature though. I don't get it why, but that's the way it is (I mean: the feedback green/red could be de-coupled from the fact that it's uploading your score at the end of the piece onto your online dashboard).
This ^

I have dual keyboard stand. The bottom stand holds the keyboard and the top holds a laptop. After I sign into the app, I close the laptop and read the score from a wall mounted 24" monitor. imo my 13.5" laptop screen is too small. The wall mounted monitor allows for great posture and easy reading.
See this thread for other users opinions on reading on a small screen: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20027

Gavala

Post by Gavala » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am

Remember that a 13in laptop is similar in respects to a standard sheet of music paper all be it landscape and not portrait.

I looked at pimping my set up with a large touch screen but decided to keep it A4-ish.....

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 am

Gavala wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am
Remember that a 13in laptop is similar in respects to a standard sheet of music paper all be it landscape and not portrait.
There is sheet music, which is arranged landscape, see for example this one https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/108022 ;)