What Next?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
NewHere

What Next?

Post by NewHere » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello Everyone!

I want to share with you my experience so that I can seek advise about certain things regarding this website and music in General.

I bought a piano a while back with no musical background at all. I did some searching and found a lot of recommendations online for this site. So I figured that it will be a great place to start learning music and piano.

After a couple of weeks I must say am really impressed with the quality of the material available. This site will teach you how to be able to play any song you want. It will teach you all about sheet music and reading it, in addition to all the necessary skills needed to play some pretty difficult pieces. Also its a great site to help you just simply practice and develop your piano skills. The way you learn all this is so much fun and easy. With time, I believe, with this site's help you will be able to play the hardest of song with ease. However this is the site's major problem.

Please correct me if I am wrong here, and I really would like to know if there are maybe some courses I missed that would prove a solution for the problem I am about to present. The problem is that all you learn is how to play! I couldn't find any music theory in these courses! Even with the courses regarding chords and such the only topic discussed is how to play these chords and lots and lots of training to be able to play all chords with ease! Where is the discussion of these chords? like why those specific notes form this chord and the basic theory behind them? Also what about other important scales? like the blue scale? What about improvising? Why aren't there any courses about scale theory and how to use scales to improvise? How to use chords to improvise? How to be able to identify notes by sound? How to be able to actually play a song by hearing it not by reading it? and the questions continue...

Please inform me if I am missing some courses that will answer my problem. If there aren't any I would be thankful to hear to some advise you would kindly offer that will help me learn the things I asked for.

Thanks a lot

Kasey00

Re: What Next?

Post by Kasey00 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am

By improvising on the piano you don’t play after piano notes as in sheet music, but after your own ideas. You could instead use your knowledge about scales and chords, but freely, without a given plan or directions. In this guide you will get some easy tips on how to begin improvising.