How far along

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
njverducci

How far along

Post by njverducci » Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Asuming you gett 100% before moving on to the next lesson ( Basic trainin) how far along should you be with 12 hours of lessons /

stripps

Re: How far along

Post by stripps » Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 am

I've played for almost 4 hours so far, and I'm at lesson 34 I think, with 100% so far. I can get back to you when I spent 12 hours to tell you how long I've reached at least :)

jaylyn8111

Post by jaylyn8111 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:28 am

I'm about 14 hours in and almost done with the rookie bootcamp! I have about 8 more lessons to go

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:41 am

Hi njverducci!

I have (at the time of this post) about 90 hours and I'm 5 modules away from completing the Advanced Bootcamp. I started from the very beginning in Sept 2019. I'm comfortable with most concepts, weak in others. The point I'm trying to make is, that hours and hours and hours dont have any effect on your skill if you arent PRACTICING EFFECTIVELY. Take a look at my post under "Practice Tips" to get an idea of what I mean.

TL/DR- if you dont lay out a goal, how your going to get to that goal and use your practice time to your advantage, it doesnt matter how many hours you have and where "you should be" in comparison to others. Where you should be is based on your goal. We're all here learning at our own pace.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your journey to becoming the pianist you desire!
:D

Villa Brito

Post by Villa Brito » Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Hello SJunior, how are you? let me ask you something.
I'm with 10% of your time spent here ( 9 hours) level 20 and with only 14 lessons to end the rookie level (lesson 79).

Never played piano in my life. But it kinda seems I'm playing a game more than learning piano.. I can't explain.
I don't tell that I'm not learning, but if I go to a piano on this stage I can't even play a very simple song from beginning to the end.

what I like to know is, you with 90 hours practice and finishing the advanced level, are prepared to play songs at what level?

At what point did you see that you really played the piano and it wasn't just hammering on the keys. That point where someone else really takes some pleasure in hearing you play :-)

Regards.

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:16 am

Hi Villa Brito!

I'm doing well and I hope you are doing the same.

I can totally understand what you are saying. If you dont put some sort of metric together on your own (and not just depending solely on the scores you get within any of the learning modules as feedback), its hard to tell if this or any other learning software is teaching you anything (and not having a "video game" feel to it).

Playground is alot more academic in comparison to a "video game" style learning application like Synthesia. Between going through the bootcamps and courses, and online videos of the Playground catalog, I've learned ALOT (coming from another person who was a complete beginner with the piano - if you want more detail, just look up "Piano scares me....well not anymore" in the general chat).

To answer your first question, I feel that I can, at the very minimum, interpret and translate whats written on any piano sheet music. Granted, it would take some time for me to practice and understand the piece itself, but I know enough to begin and be able to play. I'm even finding myself taking some of my favorite songs off the everyday-listening playlist and translating the melodies / rhythms into my own arrangements. I think the whole objective for Playground is to provide you with enough fundamentals to allow you to grow into whatever style pianist you desire.

To answer your second question, I think where I felt that I was playing something based on all what I've learned prior was the final module in the rookie bootcamp (chorus for "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" - Elton John). I still warmup with that piece to this day. Another song where I felt I could entertain a room is Mozart's "Sonata #11 in A Major" from the intermediate bootcamp - another song I warmup with. Why I felt these two songs were more than just a teaching point - was the fact that I memorized them.The notes/arrangement made sense to me. I can still look at the sheet music for refference, but 95% of the time, I'm playing from memory (technically, I'm playing off the accompanyment instruments to give me cues).

I hope I answered your questions enough and I thank you for reaching out. I wish you all the best on your journey to becoming the pianist you desire. :D

Villa Brito

Post by Villa Brito » Tue May 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Just to thank you for your detailed reply,
It was a very nice help!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm

njverducci wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Asuming you gett 100% before moving on to the next lesson ( Basic trainin) how far along should you be with 12 hours of lessons /
That's always a very difficult question to answer.

I finished rookie boot camp after a couple hundred hours of "credited" practice - which does include some courses and songs mixed in. I'd have to sit down and study my statistics to really know where I was at 12 hours. Probably not very far, though. I was always aiming for 100%, and nearly always got there in the end.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm

I don't know about 12 hours of lessons, but I'm today at my 5 month mark. In PGS I've logged 2 days, 0 hours, 23 minutes, and 10 seconds. I'd definitely slap a multiplier of 2 onto that with all the non-recorded time, but that may well be more. That means 100 hours at the piano, easily.

This brought me this output today:
  • Primo of Nr. 6 by Anton Diabelli, Op. 149. This is a collection of 4-handed pieces for amateurs, I have a friend who played the secondo ("teacher hands"), I played and recorded the primo ("student hands"). The score is in the public domain, you can find it for example here. I've put around 6 hours into this recording.
Hmm... this is the first that I share music, I created. This is an interesting feeling. Especially that it's not even a copyright infringement, because both pieces are in the public domain 8-) (Although the arrangement of "O Come All Ye Faithful" in PGS is copyrighted by PGS, so yeah... I hope that's not a problem with me sharing ;) )

YMMV.

mycatcher90

Post by mycatcher90 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am

FlatPanda wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm
I don't know about 12 hours of lessons, but I'm today at my 5 month mark. In PGS I've logged 2 days, 0 hours, 23 minutes, and 10 seconds. I'd definitely slap a multiplier of 2 onto that with all the non-recorded time, but that may well be more. That means 100 hours at the piano, easily.

This brought me this output today:
  • Primo of Nr. 6 by Anton Diabelli, Op. 149. This is a collection of 4-handed pieces for amateurs, I have a friend who played the secondo ("teacher hands"), I played and recorded the primo ("student hands"). The score is in the public domain, you can find it for example critical thinking examples. I've put around 6 hours into this recording.
Hmm... this is the first that I share music, I created. This is an interesting feeling. Especially that it's not even a copyright infringement, because both pieces are in the public domain 8-) (Although the arrangement of "O Come All Ye Faithful" in PGS is copyrighted by PGS, so yeah... I hope that's not a problem with me sharing ;) )

YMMV.
I have no words. Just my emotions. Unbelievable!