Change Hand Positions

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Wombat2018

Change Hand Positions

Post by Wombat2018 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi, I am a Rookie who has now got to No.36 (Scarborough Fair) in the Rookie Bootcamp.
I am trying to play and read the music without looking at the keyboard ie, first by looking at the numbered finger positioning, then at the key notations ie A-G and ultimately reading the music - as I say without looking at the keyboard.
Do you have any tips for ensuring the correct hand position after a change eg in Scarborough Fair from measure 5 to measure 6 ie so that the thumb moves from being on the D key to then being on the G key - without looking at the keyboard.
Eg would it be correct technique to bring the thumb to be next to finger 5 (which is over the A key) so that the thumb would then be over the G key and thus Finger 2 would have correctly to be over the A key?
Thank you in anticipation of your help.

SJunior22

Re: Change Hand Positions

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:19 am

Hi Wombat2018!

In the rookie bootcamp version of Scarborough Fair, its left handed "static" exercise (meaning your left hand does not move throughout the piece. Pinky finger(5) on C, Ring finger (4) on D, Index finger (2) on F, and Thumb (1) on G.

From what I gathered from your post was that it seems you are playing this with your right hand(?).