Is headphones practise possible ?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Mochita

Is headphones practise possible ?

Post by Mochita » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:59 am

Hi I have just registered yesterday and I have managed to connect my iPad via the usb and lightening adapter but I am wondering if I can use my headphones too? I use Alesis recital and it has ¼” (6.35mm) headphone output which sends sound to my headphones when practising from sheets But I would like to find a way to use my headphones whilst practising via playground app.does anybody know how to do it please?

sw1tch73ch

Re: Is headphones practise possible ?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I use a mixer sometimes to combine the two sounds. My current piano has an AUX IN port that I plug a cable to connect my tablet to my piano so those sounds come through the piano. But if you don't have an AUX in, there are relatively inexpensive ways to join the two signals together to play in one headphone.

This is not an endorsement, but an example of such a device. I have no idea how well this one works. Use it as a starting point: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00102ZN40/re ... 2yb7ERQ9B3

Also there are great little but REAL mixers (this is the one I use, though I got it at a better price than Amazon seems to have it): https://smile.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG10XU- ... nts&sr=1-1

The Yamaha mixer I list is way overkill for what you're asking for and I'm not recommending it specifically, just as a sample, again as a starting point. There are a wide range of devices at different prices. (if you want to actually record to a digital recorder and mix a microphone, the tablet (or computer, and your piano - then the Yamaha really is a great solution).
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:43 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 pm
I use a mixer sometimes to combine the two sounds. My current piano has an AUX IN port that I plug a cable to connect my tablet to my piano so those sounds come through the piano. But if you don't have an AUX in, there are relatively inexpensive ways to join the two signals together to play in one headphone.

This is not an endorsement, but an example of such a device. I have no idea how well this one works. Use it as a starting point: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00102ZN40/re ... 2yb7ERQ9B3

Also there are great little but REAL mixers (this is the one I use, though I got it at a better price than Amazon seems to have it): https://smile.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG10XU- ... nts&sr=1-1

The Yamaha mixer I list is way overkill for what you're asking for and I'm not recommending it specifically, just as a sample, again as a starting point. There are a wide range of devices at different prices. (if you want to actually record to a digital recorder and mix a microphone, the tablet (or computer, and your piano - then the Yamaha really is a great solution).
I use the same Yamaha mixer. I love it. I use it to separate PGS audio from my keyboard audio. Then I add some reverb to the piano audio with it.

helenkkemp

Post by helenkkemp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:11 am

I have a different set up to you - I have my laptop plugged into my clavinova piano - but I can plug my headphones into my laptop and this makes the piano play silently too. What happens if you plug your headphones into your ipad?

Jalmeida

Post by Jalmeida » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 am

I know it's not the ideal solution, but I've been able to achieve this by pluging the earphones to the ipad and turning the volume down to zero on the piano; the PGS piano is then audible through the earphones. Of course, the sound quality is far inferior to the piano's own sound but it works.