PS just to play songs?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
global1

PS just to play songs?

Post by global1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:39 am

I have gone through many of the rookie bootcamp lessons. I decided that I wanted to play a song. I was able to play Funny Valentine/Rookie after a few weeks so I moved onto Canon D/Intermediate. That took a few months. Now I am moving on to River flows in you/intermediate. Learning the songs takes time but I like being able to use PS to provide the fingering on the sheet music and video to show how the songs are played. I tend to quickly memorize the songs after the initial learning so my sight reading is still lacking. I really like to this way of learning and don't know that I will go back to the lessons. Does anyone else use PS just to play songs and forego the lessons?

Moreless

Re: PS just to play songs?

Post by Moreless » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 am

I use it to play songs only. Learning the songs is quick because the score is numbered, the metronome is great, and song speed can be adjusted. If you are taking 3 plus months to learn a piece, I'd recommend learning easier songs to keep the progress flowing. Having a larger repertoire should make learning new songs quicker and give you more variety when replaying songs.

Also, don't be afraid to slow songs down when practicing. Our brain can feel the rhythm of a song at 33bpm. Anything lower and the notes will sound like random keys pressed. If you can play a passage at 33bpm you can take it to full speed with patience and a few practice sessions.

lucidmusicinc

Post by lucidmusicinc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 pm

I completed the rookie bootcamp and all the rookie courses months ago. I'm halfway through the intermediate bootcamp. Intermediate is tough because you're expected to read and play quickly and my sight reading/coordination can't keep up with the program. I'm quite stumped. I've been learning rookie and intermediate songs ever since. I reckon when I can play all the rookie songs at normal (fast) tempo with relative ease, I'll be ready to complete the intermediate bootcamps. I don't expect to be able to do that in the near foreseeable future however.

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am

lucidmusicinc wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 pm
I completed the rookie bootcamp and all the rookie courses months ago. I'm halfway through the intermediate bootcamp. Intermediate is tough because you're expected to read and play quickly and my sight reading/coordination can't keep up with the program. I'm quite stumped. I've been learning rookie and intermediate songs ever since. I reckon when I can play all the rookie songs at normal (fast) tempo with relative ease, I'll be ready to complete the intermediate bootcamps. I don't expect to be able to do that in the near foreseeable future however.
All of us will have different learning "walls" we hit on our journey. Sometimes sleeping and trying again the next day is all you'll need to improve. For example I'll practice a difficult section for 10 or 15 minutes. The next day I'll practice the same section but at +5 the bpm I did the previous day. Days, weeks, and even months will go by. Eventually I can play the section or song at full tempo.