Questions about notation

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
FlatPanda

Questions about notation

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 am

I have searched around in the forum, but didn't find a topic, which would be a general discussion about music notation in general (especially outside of PGS), thus I'm starting this. And starting it with a question ;)

I have came across the following notation in an arrangement of Polinaise op. 53 Héroïque by Chopin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p14oiekjqsvhxj5/dcalfine.jpg

(sorry, external link, somehow I'm not able to attach images today)

It's still way outside of my comfort zone, but I'm still interested, how this should be played out. The obvious part is that the measure with the Volta "1." should be played on the first run, the measure with the Volta "2." should be played instead, when repeating. But: the piece ends with a "D. C. al Fine", thus starting from the beginning until Fine, which is the same measure with the Volta "2.".

The question: when playing "D. C. al Fine" does one play both measures or only that with the Volta "2."?

sw1tch73ch

Re: Questions about notation

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Good question. I would think that since 1 and 2 measures are musically in the same place, you'd play the 2 without the 1 the next time through. Also, that is where the fine is. But this isn't something I've thought about much before.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --