PlaygroundSessions on Linux

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
solernou

PlaygroundSessions on Linux

Post by solernou » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:18 am

Hi,
I have been running PGS on an Ubuntu machine for some time now using WineHQ 3.0.3. However, a new glitch appeared recently and I am unable to download new lessons. When I read the logs, it seems that it is related to "[ERROR] Uncaught: Error #2032", for which I tried to find a solution unsuccessfully.

I've also tried the latest version of Wine (5.18), but it fails to launch with a different error. Given that this is the newest Wine version, I've been able to file in a bug report, which gives me some hope.

I know that this is not the place to submit this type of bugs, but have noticed that there is a (small?) Linux community, and wondered whether anybody has come around any of these issues. I'd welcome any help.

Cheers,
Albert

Moreless

Re: PlaygroundSessions on Linux

Post by Moreless » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am

The program itself has not been updated in years. I would try closing PGS and try to download the lesson at a later time. Unless the PGS backend for retrieving songs, lessons, etc has been modified. I'm pretty sure the 2032 error is a generic connection related error to their servers. It was bad a couple years ago when people couldn't log in because of the error. If you just kept trying to log in, you'd get in eventually.

EFlatMajor

Post by EFlatMajor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Hey, hey, hey, welcome Albert.

I am one of those Linux/WINE users. PGS is an outlier when it comes to WINE as it works nearly perfectly on that platform.

I agree with @Moreless that the problem you experienced was likely a blip on the server side.

I am running Fedora 32, kernel 5.8.14-200, with WINE 5.18, Windows 10 emulation.

It has been running fine through many O/S and WINE upgrades. I downloaded 2 lessons last night so I know that is still working.

Hopefully all is well now for you. Like @Moreless wrote, this version is PGS is ancient, but a new rewritten version is on the way. I am guessing Q1 2021 release, but that is just a guess. There are next to no details on that new version, so keep this forum bookmarked just in case we need to help each other get that new version running after it is released.

solernou

Post by solernou » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:45 am

Thanks Everybody,
and sorry for the slow reply, for some reason I didn't configure my account to receive an email when the thread was updated. I guess version 3.0.3 did stop working because it was too old. The trick was to uninstall and install the latest stable (5.0.*). I think I was unlucky too, because WineHQ 5.18 maybe was buggy... I did report my trouble to their bugzilla website, and it seems now fixed (5.22).

Cheers,
Albert

EFlatMajor

Post by EFlatMajor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:54 pm

Hello Albert,

Glad you upgraded to current version. WINE changes a lot. I use Fedora and WINE 6.0 with little issue.

Error 2032 is a "Server is down" type of error. Nothing to do with WINE as the Windows users see this error as well.

Hoping the new desktop version of PGS works as well as this one does.

EFlatMajor

Re: Playground Sessions on Linux - UPDATE

Post by EFlatMajor » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm

OK Linux users, just wanted to let you know about a potential issue running PGS on Linux.

I upgraded to Fedora 34 - kernel 5.12.9-300.fc34.x86_64, WINE 6.9 (staging).

After that, Playground Sessions would crash every time I ran it, while the splash page was appearing but before that opening melody played.

I use PulseAudio for sound, and it seems the Linux gods decided to replace PulseAudio with something called PipeWire. They said it was better. Others say it was not ready. Apparently it was not.

Anyway, I was able to get PGS to work by installing pulseaudio while allowing erasing. This limits the change to removing pipewire-pulseaudio and installing pulseaudio in its place. PGS has been working fine ever since.

just a heads-up.

Good luck.

jcamilo.36

Post by jcamilo.36 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:30 pm

For Ubuntu users, if PSG starts crashing try:

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.4

Also you may need to add it to your ~/.bash_profile file

Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:08 am

I'm a bit shocked that there are still a lot of people who use linux. Interesting to see how "playgrond sessions" work on Ubuntu's product :ugeek:
I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-software