Practice Points

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Comradelobster

Practice Points

Post by Comradelobster » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Hello, I just started with the app on Saturday. I don't understand how the points (practice and time) system works. I see that I am earning them, but I cannot find how many I have accumulated or how to use them. I cannot see anywhere in the app or when I log in to the website that explains what they are for. I saw an earlier post saying that the points were being phased out, if this is true why are they still part of the program? Any help would be appreciated.

MiddleC

Re: Practice Points

Post by MiddleC » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:24 am

I am most certainly...not certain :D

I think they can be used to 'purchase' from the song database, but I'm not sure.

I also don't know what the guidelines are for accumulating them, but it appears that time spent on the lessons contribute to them.

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Comradelobster!

Practice/Time points are meant to measure your "official" time spent practicing and how well you did on any given lesson. You can find your "stats" under the "MY PLAYGROUND" tab (at the top of the page)...then just below that, there's a sub catagory called "DASHBOARD". This gives you a breakdown of your time spent practicing and what "level" player you are.

The "level" system is (in my opinion) to give you an incentive to keep practicing and to "level up" as much and as fast as you can. This method is used in mainly video games, so I think this is more to appeal to the younger crowds here at Playground. The levels have no value whatsoever.

You can determine on your own what value a level 1 player verses someone like me who is at level 61. Trust me, I'm not that strong of a piano player by any means (far ahead from where I started, but I still have a long way to go - over a 1000 hours is the ideal for competent musicians on their chosen instrument). I've barely clocked over 100 official practice hours (this doesnt count hours and hours of practicing outside of Playground).

The way I understand practice points is that they get accumulated depending on the official time spent practicing any lesson. The clock counts once you hit the "play" button on a lesson and those practice points get determined and added to your "session points" (combined count of your time and practice points). Its just basically another way of "leveling up". These practice/session points have no value either.

I hope this info helps you a bit and anyone else who reads this post. I wish you all the best and enjoy your journey. :)

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Great info. Thanks for sharing with us.

The hours comment is interesting to me. On my Android phone, I have a Timesheet app, which I originally used to track the time invested in the rebuild of my '61 Chevy. So, just out of interest, I am tracking my time practicing on the keyboard.

I did notice that the time tracked by Playground did not track time unless playing an exercise. I'm not sure, but I think it does NOT tracke time based on watching the video lessons, but I may be wrong.

My interest is in knowing how much total time I am dedicating to learning the piano, only becasue I'm interested in knowing. For the time being I have only tracked time in Playground. But I have started watching some Youtube vids. I may start tracking that as a sub-category of the Piano project.]

To show how new I am to this, I just finished a 2 hours session, which put me at 34 hours 9 min so far.

JFYI..the time I put in restoring the '61 was 2287 hours 18 minutes. :shock: