Experimenting with keyboard accompaniment - On Yamaha 660

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
MiddleC

Experimenting with keyboard accompaniment - On Yamaha 660

Post by MiddleC » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:43 pm

I focused today on the song Im learing. I wanted to play with some of the features on the 660, particularly with the auto accompaniment.

I read in the manual (I think) somewhere that if you don't select a specific style that it will automatically choose an accompaniment. I didn't have much luck with that.

After some scrutinizing of the manual and playing around, and selecting different styles, I found a couple different styles that worked pretty good. IN general, I was pretty impressed. Made my simple 1 key each hand song sound pretty good.

One surprise I cam across: it seems that it bases the actual style based on chords that you play in the song. I haven't studied chords yet, so I turned on the simple chord (not sure that's what it's called), where you can play chords with 1 fingerd. Press C, I presume it plays a C Major...not sure.

So, the surprise was then it does not play the bass that you play in the song...it plays the corresponding chord based on the single key being pressed on the bass. And an additional surprise...the chord was exactly the same, no matter if you dropped down an octive.

I also experimented with voices, Sax, Harmonica (I don't have any idea if you couls simulate some of the harmonica riffs you here), Trumpet, Accordion.

It was a fun evening, and brought a bit of knowledge about the keyboard, And while I was at it, my playing of the song has improved. I haven't gotten of 95% yet, But i'll get there.