Enable both finger AND note simultaneously?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Dmnchild

Enable both finger AND note simultaneously?

Post by Dmnchild » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Greetings all! Just picked up a lifetime hoping to learn piano.

So far I am liking the system and the boot camp seems to be teaching me.

I am however curious if anyone else would find it beneficial to see both finger AND the note instead of one or the other?

Since I’m new to all of this, I feel this would help me learn remembering the notes on the sheet as well as finger required.

If there is a way to enable both, I am totally overlooking it.

SJunior22

Re: Enable both finger AND note simultaneously?

Post by SJunior22 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 am

Hi Dmnchild!

In the beginning, I felt the same way as you do. I would've liked to seen both hand and note charted on the music just out of convienence.

Now that I'm done with all the bootcamps and venturing into learning full songs, I'm glad I didnt have both finger and note charted on the music. The fact that I prefered to have the finger notations when I was a beginner (and couldnt have both), it made me write down on a piece of paper the "Grand Staff" (both bass and treble clef notations). Looking at that sheet of paper and then the music with finger notations over and over throughout the bootcamp lessons, I eventually memorized the Grand Staff, and the finger charts are irrelevant now that I have an understanding on technique on where your hands should be from note to note (or chord).

To sum it all up, pick one and never change it until you become more confidant and competent (which will take time). Supplement the lack of the one that isnt displayed on your sheet music, with outside efforts (write down the fingering pattern of each lesson, or write down the Grand Staff and refer to it through every lesson). I chose to keep the fingering notation up on the sheet music while looking at my sheet of paper with the Grand Staff notation every single lesson.

If you want to shorten the learning curve a bit, take time outside of Playground and memorize the Grand Staff now, then Major and minor scales (when you begin lessons on scales). Knowing the Grand Staff with scales will make what you play seem more "logical" and you'll eventually see the pattern (your fingering patterns) in your mind as you read the sheet music.

Hope this helps a bit and wish you all the best on your journey!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm gonna echo SJunior22 here.

The best way to really learn something is to involve as many of your senses as possible. Writing the notes on a paper copy of the Grand Staff, before each lesson, will help ingrain those notes into your mind. Say them outloud as you write them to add your audible memory and maybe even play that note just before you write it down to associate the sound and keyboard position, too. Then play the lesson with the finger numbers on at least once through before doing the lesson to see where your fingers go in that specific lesson. At this point it is your choice if you want to keep the finger numbers on.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

jgtmd

Post by jgtmd » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 am

I've had the same concern, issue, challenge.... Here is a practice Technique I just started.

In a Bootcamp exercise, I will first run through the exercise with fingerings turned on (e.g., 1, 2, 3,..). Then after I feel reasonably comfortable with that, I'll switch off the fingerings and switch on the alphabetic notation (A, B, C, D,...). Then, when I'm comfortable with that, I'll switch off both fingering and alphabetic notation and finish with just the graphical notes shown.

It has really slowed down my progression through Bootcamp, but I feel like I'm building a better foundation.

Good luck, Jim.

pedromtavares

Post by pedromtavares » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 am

It's great that you guys learnt that way, but people are different and the tool needs to be as general as possible for customers to extract as much value as possible and learn in their own way. I second the original post here and find it quite annoying to have to switch all the time between notes and fingering, so I would greatly benefit from this option.

Best,
Pedro

rickm

Post by rickm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:20 pm

The sneak peek of the upcoming new version for iPad that Chris Vance posted on Christmas day shows both note names and finger numbers at the same time. No release date yet.

I tried to attached a screen shot but it wouldn't accept png or jpg.