Roll up piano compatibility

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Lurch

Roll up piano compatibility

Post by Lurch » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:54 am

I’m an airline pilot and I would like to practice with Playground Sessions on my layovers. I know roll up pianos in general have horrible reviews but I think they would be the most portable to at least get some practice in on the road. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best roll up that is compatible with PGS?

EFlatMajor

Re: Roll up piano compatibility

Post by EFlatMajor » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am

Hello Lurch,

Unofficially, I believe any keyboard with a MIDI interface and at least 61 keys will work with Playground Sessions. You absolutely want to confirm that by sending email to the support team:

support@playgroundsessions.com

They can tell you for sure. They also sell keyboards and can likely give the best advice as to what keyboard is best for you. Maybe they can help you find a keyboard with a low enough profile that it can travel with you. Pretty much everyone that interfaces with customers is a practicing musician, so not likely they would steer you wrong.

My personal opinion on rollup/foldup keyboards - just imagine Tom Brady practicing with a Nerf football the day of the Super Bowl. It would do more harm than good, IMO.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Lurch,

I think you should get whatever keyboard you think would give you the most opportunity to practice. I have ambitions of practicing on layovers as well, (especially since we are kinda locked down on overnights right now) and read the same reviews on roll up keyboards. I happened across one called the Carry-on Folding piano. The price was right, it has the MIDI (fully compatible with PGS) and it's pretty compact. I haven't taken on a trip yet, but I like the fact that it's easy to store between practice sessions when I am at home.
Curious to hear about what you end with.

rickm

Post by rickm » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Lurch,

In the end, what did you pick and how is it working for you (in terms of benefitting from the practice time with it)?