Being able to play from sheet music

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Tveale51

Being able to play from sheet music

Post by Tveale51 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Greetings,

This question is for those who have started Playground sessions from Bootcamp and have now progressed through to more advanced levels. Now that you have worked through to the more advanced levels in this program are you able to pick up a piece of sheet music and play from it due to the training you got from Playground sessions?

Thanks

Tim

FlatPanda

Re: Being able to play from sheet music

Post by FlatPanda » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:42 am

Hi Tim

Yes and no.

My own abilities, after a year of learning with PGS are somewhat mixed. Sightreading is somewhat, which I have to learn a lot still, but for that I have to go and look for other alternatives (https://sightreading.training has been suggested by some).

But, I can analyse a sheet of (piano) music and learn it step by step, without problems. This is because you learn to read the grand staff and from there it's just figuring out the correct fingering (for you) and practice, practice, practice.

HTH!

rickm

Post by rickm » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:42 am

I've asked this question a few times in the Facebook group. I'm surprised that I always seem to get the answer that people don't want to do it themselves from sheet music, and are always requesting that PGS add more songs to the song library. That really surprises me. I thought most people would have the goal exactly as you asked. Get to a level where they can buy sheet music and leave PGS behind. As far as whether or not PGS actually gets you to that point after you've done al the lessons and courses, I still don't know.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:32 am

rickm wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:42 am
I've asked this question a few times in the Facebook group. I'm surprised that I always seem to get the answer that people don't want to do it themselves from sheet music, and are always requesting that PGS add more songs to the song library. That really surprises me. I thought most people would have the goal exactly as you asked. Get to a level where they can buy sheet music and leave PGS behind. As far as whether or not PGS actually gets you to that point after you've done al the lessons and courses, I still don't know.
You do have a good point, rick. PGS is meant to give you the skills to learn on your own. The Songs in the song store are in a format that can be used with other songs, break them down, work them in sections and go from there. Sheet music might be less interactive, but it is the traditional way to learn new songs. Just use the same techniques Playground teaches.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

mbvs

Post by mbvs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Sightreading is a skill which needs to be practiced on its own.

Unfortunatly PS doesn't honor this (Pianomarvel does btw) I dabbled around some time with https://www.sightreadingfactory.com which is fine, but the best thing I found was https://www.bachscholar.com/ SightReading&Harmony. Okay - its a book ;) but it starts at a very beginner level (good for me) and has plenty of material to keep you busy for years. What I like most is that SightReading&Harmony connects your sightreading skills to your theoretical knowledge and your understanding of harmony, which also is completely missing in PS.

So long sentence short - don't trust PS to teach you everything, be your own teacher, take responsibility for your education and use PS merely as a tool beside other tools.