octave practice

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Tveale51

octave practice

Post by Tveale51 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Hello,

I'm now at level 23 in Bootcamp (been at this just over a month now) and have been working on some of the courses along the way but I see some posts that advise poeple to be working on octaves but I cannot find any lessons in Bootcamp or courses that show me how to do this. Can someone direct me to where I can find octave practice?

Thanks

Tim

irmchek

Re: octave practice

Post by irmchek » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Hey, for me it showed up in Courses tab after some time (I guess it gets triggered after you've done some Bootcamp).

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi Tveale51!

I presume that you are still in "Rookie Bootcamp", with that, you'll encounter octaves in lesson 76. I also presume this will unlock "1-octave scales" module in your "Courses" section. Taking from what you've said, I dont think you've made it that far yet.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

Tveale51

Post by Tveale51 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks to you that have answered my question! this has been very helpful in keeping me from trying to do things that I may not have been able to do and getting frustrated with this lesson program. Much appreciated!

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi again Tveale51!

I'm glad my last post helped. However, I might be able to accelerate you a tad while you are in Rookie Bootcamp. This is something you're going to learn anyways and I think the sooner you learn them and begin to practice them - the better. 1-Octave Scales is one of the very foundations to all of the music you'll ever play throughout your life. Getting to know all of the Major and corresponding minor scales is essential.

My advice since you are on your way in rookie bootcamp is to lookup "Major and minor Scales" and learn them however you can (i.e. Write them down and play them as a warmup to your practice session). You'll play all of these scales in 1-Octave - meaning you wont play more than say "Middle C to the next C" (8 keys).

The sooner you learn scales, the more competent and confident you'll become.

Hope this helps and again, I wish you all the best.

Tveale51

Post by Tveale51 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Hello SJunior22,

You must be reading my mind, I was going to ask about scales as I've been told that they are fundamental in learning to play the piano. Are there any lessons in PGS for learning how to play them? Thanks again for your help!

Tim

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:32 am

Hi Tveale51!

You should encounter your first scale lesson in rookie bootcamp at lesson #74 (I think). You'll learn C Major (the easiest and best-first scale to learn). From that, you'll be able to figure out every other Major and minor scale.

I encourage you to research outside of PGS the Major and minor scales as a primer so the learning curve get shortened a bit.

Glad that I could be of help and good luck on your journey!