Quiet Practicing

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
jjmurph01

Quiet Practicing

Post by jjmurph01 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 am

Just figured out the best way (for me) to practice without sounds impacting others in the house. I'm using an iPad pro, so I connected my AirBuds via bluetooth to the iPad and used headphones connected to my keyboard worn over the AirBuds. Worked perfectly. Can hear the system and the piano at the same time.

jjmurph01

Re: Quiet Practicing

Post by jjmurph01 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:09 am

Well, nevermind. I had it working once, but when I tried again the AirBuds or the headphones seemed to cancel each other out. Needs more investigation and playing around to see if I can make it work consistently.

carl.davis

Post by carl.davis » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi - Trying to understand your issue. When I connect my iPad (gen 1 iPad Pro) to my keyboard (Yamaha P-125), the iPad sounds all come throught the keyboard speakers. So do the notes I play. I just plug a wired headphone in to my keybaod and then all the sounds come throught the headphones. Are your iPad speakers still active when you connect it to the keyboard?

BTW, even if I don't have the playground sessions app running on the iPad, connecting it to my keyboard redirects all iPad sound to the keyboard for me.

Pharmacisticus

Post by Pharmacisticus » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:21 am

I run a simple 2 channel mixer from the local electronics shop $50

One channel in from keyboard
One channel in from laptop

I can output to my amplifier or listen through headphones

It's brilliant

GordWebster

Post by GordWebster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Not all pianos will accept and play the audio input from an iPad or computer. I know my Roland FP-30 doesn't. I found this page, which explains how to configure a mixer, quite useful. Works great for headphones, or external monitors. I am also able to shoot videos with the sound coming directly from my piano and use a microphone hooked up into the mixer to be able to record my voice. (Heaphones plug into the mixer).

https://www.colegate.net/connecting-dig ... kgjvhUaoYs

rickm

Post by rickm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 am

carl.davis wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:56 pm
Hi - Trying to understand your issue. When I connect my iPad (gen 1 iPad Pro) to my keyboard (Yamaha P-125), the iPad sounds all come through the keyboard speakers. So do the notes I play. I just plug a wired headphone in to my keybaod and then all the sounds come through the headphones. Are your iPad speakers still active when you connect it to the keyboard?
Carl, it works for you because the Yamaha P-125 has a built-in USB Audio Interface. Many pianos do not. The Yamaha P-45 does not, the P-515 does. The Roland FP-10/30/60 do not. The new (Jan 2021) Roland FP-30x and FP60x do. My $5000 piano does not.
jjmurph01 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 am
Just figured out the best way (for me) to practice without sounds impacting others in the house. I'm using an iPad pro, so I connected my AirBuds via bluetooth to the iPad and used headphones connected to my keyboard worn over the AirBuds. Worked perfectly. Can hear the system and the piano at the same time.
I've never heard anybody get satisfactory results using bluetooth headphones with PG. the delay is just too great. They best you can ever get apparently is 32-40ms, which is way too much.

What does work, is wearing full headphones over wired earbuds. Not the most comfortable, and then you have two wires. There are other options...