Pentascales vs 1-octave scales

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
jeffjones2032

Pentascales vs 1-octave scales

Post by jeffjones2032 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 am

Hi,

I am still in rookie boot camp and want to get started on learning scales. I know they don't start till around lesson 74 or so and I am not there yet but I want to get a jump on it. I have also seen that many piano learning sites recommend learning pentascales first and then the 1-octave scales. Is this the best way to go about learning scales or should I just start with the 1-octave major scales?

Thanks,
Jeff

SJunior22

Re: Pentascales vs 1-octave scales

Post by SJunior22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 am

Hi jeffjones2032!

Pentascales are 5-note scales (minor or Major). This means you only play 5 keys and you never learn to pivot. So this could be considered a very beginner start towards learning scales. I would not reccommend this method unless you are severely struggling with learning/coordinating with the 1-octave scale method.

The 1-octaves are the entire 12-key octave (or register), therefore, you play from tonic to tonic. Meaning, if you wanted to learn C Major, you would start at the tonic (lets say, Middle C with your thumb) and then you would end at the next C in the next octave (or register) with your pinky finger. So you would have to play all of 8-keys meanwhile learning when and where to pivot your thumb so you can traverse the entire 1-octave scale with precision and tempo.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best! :D

jeffjones2032

Re: Pentascales vs 1-octave scales

Post by jeffjones2032 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 am

Thank you SJunior 22! I kinda thought that but I have seen so many sites recommend pentascales first but learning where to make the pivot in the full scales like you said makes sense in the long run.