what gets 3 stars

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Klee13

what gets 3 stars

Post by Klee13 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm confused as to what percentage gets 3 stars. I scored a 91% and still receievd 2 stars. Can anyone answer this question?

SJunior22

Re: what gets 3 stars

Post by SJunior22 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am

Hi Klee13!

91% should be sufficient to attain a 3-star score however, I've noticed that if you dont carry your whole notes or you fumble by pressing the right note and wrong note at the same time, it doesnt register to the score but it does count against you.

In short, PGS may say "91%" for your score, but it didnt reflect those tiny mistakes into the score shown to you, but it DID count it against you (in the background). So technically, your score should show lower than the 91%.

Just be sure you are carrying your whole notes (hold the note for the complete count) and not pressing any other key than the right one at the right time.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

pavel

Post by pavel » Sat May 29, 2021 11:27 pm

rickm

Post by rickm » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 pm

SJunior22 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am
Hi Klee13!

91% should be sufficient to attain a 3-star score however, I've noticed that if you dont carry your whole notes or you fumble by pressing the right note and wrong note at the same time, it doesnt register to the score but it does count against you.

I'm unable to demonstrate this. I took a simple example, rookie bootcamp lesson 5, segment 4. It's all whole notes for just one hand. I played normally and got 100%. Then I played every note staccato, and still got 100%.

Can you tell me exactly how to prove what you say is correct?

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 am

Hi rickm!

The way I found the potential "flaws" in the scoring algorithm is thru playing different combinations of missed/poorly timed (pink-marked) and wrong (red-marked) notes in various songs/exercises. Additionally, I would believe the length/complexity/level of the song or exercise does have a bearing on the way you are scored.

For instance, if you are playing an exercise that is just right hand and it only 12 measures long(in any level), that score is going to be more strict in comparison to a full-length song of 60-measures plus (playing the Grand Staff). Theres more "room for error" in a longer songs/exercises than short exercises/songs.

This is just my theory and either way, I'm aiming to play the song as written with my ear to judge, not the computer. Hope this helps a bit and I wish you all the best!

rickm

Post by rickm » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am

A number of people on the Facebook group have reported needing various scores in order to get 3 stars. So, something definitely going on.

aricjoshua

Post by aricjoshua » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:56 pm

SJunior22 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am
Hi Klee13!

In short, PGS may say "91%" for your score, but it didnt reflect those tiny mistakes into the score shown to you, but it DID count it against you (in the background). So technically, your score should show lower than the 91%.

Just be sure you are carrying your whole notes (hold the note for the complete count) and not pressing any other key than the right one at the right time.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.
Thanks for your information, I find your answer excellent

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi aricjoshua!

Thank you for the kind feedback! I wish you all the best!