What are levels

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
jazzy123

What are levels

Post by jazzy123 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:21 am

In the upper right-hand corner, I see Level 60 Session points 1757/3000.

I should have probably asked this way before now but better late than never.

What exactly is this telling me?

rickm

Re: What are levels

Post by rickm » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am

It doesn't mean anything. And they don't get you anything. It's just a gamification feature that does inspire and motivate some people.

In case you or other readers don't know yet, you can earn up to 3 Stars by completing Songs from the Song Store with high scores. 15 Stars gets converted into a free Song Credit from the Song Store. You only earn Stars from Songs, not Boot Camp lessons or Courses. The score required to earn 3 Stars seems to vary from song to song.

sw1tch73ch

Re: What are levels

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:06 pm

The levels are a personal thing. You can't compare you levels with anyone else.

They were originally intended to spur motivation to progress and compete on a "leader board" but that didn't work out. What the levels are is a fairly arbitrary points tracking based on how much time you spend practicing and how much your playing of any given lesson or song has improved. It is kind of find to get that burst of applause now and then as you level up. But it doesn't really correlate to a specific capability or proficiency.

It takes me a lot of time to get through lessons, I slow them way down and work my way up to full speed, so I get a lot of points that way. So my level might seem crazy high compared to someone that can plunk through the lessons quickly without having to use the slow tempos and dozens of repetitions (more like 10s of dozens). So someone that is good, blew through Rookie, intermediate and Advanced very quickly will have a lower level than I do, even though I haven't gotten through Intermediate yet. Because I spend time struggling through at a slower pace (and time is points).
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --