Teach chord along music song in playground sessions

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
hungle

Teach chord along music song in playground sessions

Post by hungle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:50 am

Hi all,

I am learning Boot Camp with Rookie tour level. I have few questions:
1. Should I learn all Bootcamp before moving to course and others?
2. I check few sections in Courses, some of them is same with lesson in Rookie tour? Is it corrrect?
3. I feel that almost practice and song tutorial is for solo to play full music. Does Playground sessions have lessons to teach how to play chord and type of play (Valve, Ballade, Disco...) for one song, so even not need to play full song, we only play few chord with relevant type to play along with song?

Thank you all,
Hung.

SJunior22

Re: Teach chord along music song in playground sessions

Post by SJunior22 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:58 am

Hello Hung!

My advice to your questions are as follows:

1. Yes, you should learn every lesson in the Rookie, Intermediate, and Advanced Bootcamps (especially if you are just learning Piano).

I would also advise you to avoid the "I have to get 100% on everything" pitfall. As long as you understand what is being taught at a certain lesson, your playing wont always be a reflection of that (you will post a score of 100% on a lesson one day, and 80% the next day with the same lesson). There are alot of factors that go into scoring 100%, wait till you can play entire songs before you become obsessed with the "100% score".
- the answer to your sub question #1 will be answered in ((#2)) response.

2. The "Courses" section should be known as "Supplemental Exercises to relevant Bootcamp Lessons and extras".

If you are in need of more instruction to a certain bootcamp-lesson, this is where you will want to go. I would suggest you use this section as needed, not as a separate "bootcamp" entirely.

Also, there are independent-full course-lessons that teaches you how to play certain songs in their entirety with competancy-selection (rookie, intermediate, advanced) levels.

3. There are several song styles you will encounter as you progress with Playground Sessions (Jazz, Blues, Rock, Classical, et cetera). You will learn the relevant chords, inverses, scales, et cetera to those lessons.

I believe the lesson plans (and song exerpts) are ment as an introduction to a certain song style, meanwhile, serving to teach you a method using a real-world song (even having some backing tracks to immerse and teach you to play along with a band).

Once you complete the bootcamps, thats when your journey really begins. Providing that you've put in the hard work and used Playground Sessions to its full-extent, you'll have the competency to pursue whichever music style you want to play. Plus, you will also have your own approach to learning full-length songs.

I hope this information was of some help and I wish you all the best!

hungle

Post by hungle » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:28 am

Hi SJunior22,

Thanks for your advice.

I will focus on Bootcamp section to complete all and learn more Course and song store.

I am a beginner so will try my best. Hopefully with Playground sessions, I can manage well the piano and play full song with my favorite style.

Regards,
Hung.

lucidmusicinc

Post by lucidmusicinc » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:02 pm

The course curriculum is spelled out on the PGS homepage. As you go through rookie level courses and songs you’re basically learning sight reading and hand independence. The songs are stripped down to the bare minimum of the left hand baseline and right hand melody.

In intermediate level lessons you learn about triads and their inversions as well as more complex rhythms. The same songs are transcribed but the left hand now plays triads.

Finally when you get to advanced you’re learning to play broken chords in the left hand with a lot more melodic embellishments.

Maybe that answers your questions about learning chords.

PGS will teach you a lot of classical and pop/rock with a little jazz and blues. To get into playing specific kinds of grooves there are other piano teachers out there on YouTube, but they often teach at an advanced level and if you’re happy to stick it out with PGS patiently you’ll get really good at sight reading with an intuitive understanding of a lot music theory. You don’t have to limit yourself to one system only, go out and explore other teachers and methods, but don’t give up on one thing too soon either. The piano is a very complex instrument with a lot of skills that need to be mastered, especially at the beginner levels.