Music Education

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Flashdharma

Re: Music Education

Post by Flashdharma » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm

I am a retired educator. I spent years designing and implementing pedogogical systems for both 'classroom' and 'computer-based' delivery. I also spent a lot of time teaching in the classroom. There has been a strong trend in education to develop, what I call, 'vertical' teaching systems. Those are systems that focus entirely on a single, limited skill set - for example: economics, physics, biology, etc. This approach discards eductional elements that are seen as distracting or irrelevant - music, creative writing, visual arts, etc.

Many educators believed (in theory) that implementing this kind of learning environment would result in brilliant scientists, etc. When these 'vertical' systems were initially implemented, there was no point-of-refernce by which to judge their effectiveness. Now, there has been at least a generation of students that have completed this educational path and moved into the professional world. What is becoming obvious is that a 'vertical' educational system not only produces inferior thinkers and, in the worst cases, maladjusted individuals, it produces inferior professionals in the targeted skill areas. As a result there is a new push in education to bring the arts back as an important part of a complete, effective educational system . . . so, don't lose heart.

Remember in the 50s when there was a trend to build classrooms without windows in order to focus students on learning. It was soon found that windowless rooms had a detrimental effect on learning and you will find windows in all modern classrooms.

Bad ideas generally collapse under the weight of their own failure.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:25 am

sw1tch73ch wrote:I realize this is an old thread, but I'm commenting anyway! :)

What about adding a kind of exchange where music teachers and students can connect as a community feature of Playground Sessions. There will likely be people that learn better with direct one on one lessons. Learning online is great, but at some point some students will want "more" whatever that means to them.

I have to wonder what kind of society we will have without Music and Art as part of the public education. Too many people already think that Music and Art can only be done by the extremely talented. That might be true of making a living and becoming famous from it, but everyone can learn to create music or art to some degree and be able to enjoy doing so.
Having a connection portal between teachers and users sounds like a cool idea. We'll look into it!

And you made some really strong points. Music can be played by everyone! People mistake the ability to play music with the ability to make a living playing music. The extremely talented are the ones that can make a living off of music, but they aren't the only ones who can play and create music.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 am

Flashdharma wrote:I am a retired educator. I spent years designing and implementing pedogogical systems for both 'classroom' and 'computer-based' delivery. I also spent a lot of time teaching in the classroom. There has been a strong trend in education to develop, what I call, 'vertical' teaching systems. Those are systems that focus entirely on a single, limited skill set - for example: economics, physics, biology, etc. This approach discards eductional elements that are seen as distracting or irrelevant - music, creative writing, visual arts, etc.

Many educators believed (in theory) that implementing this kind of learning environment would result in brilliant scientists, etc. When these 'vertical' systems were initially implemented, there was no point-of-refernce by which to judge their effectiveness. Now, there has been at least a generation of students that have completed this educational path and moved into the professional world. What is becoming obvious is that a 'vertical' educational system not only produces inferior thinkers and, in the worst cases, maladjusted individuals, it produces inferior professionals in the targeted skill areas. As a result there is a new push in education to bring the arts back as an important part of a complete, effective educational system . . . so, don't lose heart.

Remember in the 50s when there was a trend to build classrooms without windows in order to focus students on learning. It was soon found that windowless rooms had a detrimental effect on learning and you will find windows in all modern classrooms.

Bad ideas generally collapse under the weight of their own failure.
Very true!

degerrum

Post by degerrum » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 am

I have just found this tool and am using it in conjunction with lessons with a private teacher for my 7 year old and I. I showed it to the teacher last night and he was blown away. I think it could be used in conjuction with direct or one on one learning.

I think that the magic of online learning in this way is that it can happen at home as "Play" (instead of Minecraft or TV) as opposed to having a room full of students doing as "work" at school. I also think that adults and kids can enjoy the program at their own levels and progress at their own speed. I'd like to see multiple users within the same account for this kind of family encouragement.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:09 pm

degerrum wrote:I have just found this tool and am using it in conjunction with lessons with a private teacher for my 7 year old and I. I showed it to the teacher last night and he was blown away. I think it could be used in conjuction with direct or one on one learning.

I think that the magic of online learning in this way is that it can happen at home as "Play" (instead of Minecraft or TV) as opposed to having a room full of students doing as "work" at school. I also think that adults and kids can enjoy the program at their own levels and progress at their own speed. I'd like to see multiple users within the same account for this kind of family encouragement.
We agree 200%! In fact, there are schools and private instructors who are already using Playground Sessions with their students as a supplementary tool.

Post by avatarivn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Well, guess the problem with "impractical" subjects like music and arts is everywhere. Why, in today's world which is so obsessed with technology and reaching the absolute top of our careers, creativity is no longer appreciated? I think it is precisely because music is losing its rightful place in schools that there are so many issues with stress handling and the tendency to be viewers instead of participants. Taking the selfie with the music player is nice but I would rather be the one playing and not simply an observer. :D