Music Education

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
davidsides
Site Admin

Music Education

Post by davidsides » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 pm

With music education being stripped from schools, and many young students looking for alternative ways to learn music, what would you like to see done to improve the state of Music Education?

Somery

Re: Music Education

Post by Somery » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:27 pm

If public school systems are dropping music education from available elective courses, I would hope they would encourage people to continue music education by giving private teachers, or distinguished online music educators the ability to give students credit for the grades they earn. Im sure there are private music schools that this is already true of, but it is my understanding that it is too expensive and for the already talented, so that kind of makes it a special privilege just to be involved in music.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 am

I couldn't agree more. I wish that there was a way to make this practice a standard among schools.

hasseb432

Post by hasseb432 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks for the suggestion. We're actually working on building out some practice exercises like those for you guys in our program. Keep an eye out for them to be released soon.

dieting

Post by dieting » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 am

Im sure there are private music schools that this is already true of, but it is my understanding that it is too expensive and for the already talented, so that kind of makes it a special privilege just to be involved in music.??

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 pm

dieting wrote:Im sure there are private music schools that this is already true of, but it is my understanding that it is too expensive and for the already talented, so that kind of makes it a special privilege just to be involved in music.??
Good point!

Joanne

Post by Joanne » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 pm

It is a shame that many schools, especially smaller school districts, have stopped music education, chorus, etc. due to funding, etc. I wish many would realize the importance of music. For me it is a soul soothing method to relax and I've enjoyed it for years. It is so important, yet when a parent seeks it out on their own through private lessons, etc., it can be expensive. I've recently restarted playing the piano after taking a 20 year hiatus and find it brings many healthy benefits. My 4-year old grandson loves it too.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Joanne wrote:It is a shame that many schools, especially smaller school districts, have stopped music education, chorus, etc. due to funding, etc. I wish many would realize the importance of music. For me it is a soul soothing method to relax and I've enjoyed it for years. It is so important, yet when a parent seeks it out on their own through private lessons, etc., it can be expensive. I've recently restarted playing the piano after taking a 20 year hiatus and find it brings many healthy benefits. My 4-year old grandson loves it too.
We definitely agree. We wish that the importance of music was more widely accepted. We hope to be a solution to bringing music back into the schools as well as the homes of those how have once dabbled in it and then walked away.

Chloe34

Post by Chloe34 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:33 am

i completely agree also music education should be widely accepted and a solidified part of the education system

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:07 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm commenting anyway! :)

What about adding a kind of exchange where music teachers and students can connect as a community feature of Playground Sessions. There will likely be people that learn better with direct one on one lessons. Learning online is great, but at some point some students will want "more" whatever that means to them.

I have to wonder what kind of society we will have without Music and Art as part of the public education. Too many people already think that Music and Art can only be done by the extremely talented. That might be true of making a living and becoming famous from it, but everyone can learn to create music or art to some degree and be able to enjoy doing so.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --