It's not the Key, but the Chord!?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
Richard

It's not the Key, but the Chord!?

Post by Richard » Tue May 10, 2016 8:16 am

I'm working away on my next lesson and as usual, I'm first practicing the chord progression that goes with that lesson... I like to be comfortable with moving between the chords.

My sequence for practicing the progression, is as follows... chord 1, then chord 2.. chord 1 & 2 repeated.. then I progress to next chord and practice.. 1, 2 and 3 repeating this untill I've completed the progression.
I do this with my right hand, left hand and then both together.. I then work with chords in one hand, while trying to play individual notes with the other and this has left me with a question of, what notes can I play?

Just selecting notes at random gives a random result... some notes ok and others are certainly not! I first looked at using just the notes within the Key/Scale what I was playing in, but this again didn't seem to work all the time!?

I've now looked at playing the notes that goes with the Key of the Chord I'm playing and seem to be getting a better result.

Example: When I play the chord of D... I can play notes in the Key of D.. and when I'm playing F" I play the notes that I would find in that Key... but can someone clarify this for me please? Is there a general rule to follow?

purpose58

Re: It's not the Key, but the Chord!?

Post by purpose58 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:30 am

Sounds like you are working on improvisation. I'm working on the same stuff. While I would like to be more old school with my feel the music more than think the music, I think studying different scale types - beyond major/minor would definitely help you go where you are trying to go - even looking at the different modes - I don't know how much theory you're into, but the modes are based on the 7 scale degrees of the major scales - even the minor scales too I believe - I think you are playing and the all have a different feel to help convey whatever emotion or feeling you want your music to have. My teacher started me in blues style first though - you can use a simple 1-4-5 progression and improve over that with a blues scale

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu May 12, 2016 6:11 am

Morning and thanks for taking the time to give me this information!

My music theory is rather limited to say the least... but much better than my music reading! :)

The Major and Minor seem to be the basics..that everything is built on.. so getting use to using them first!

I was looking a one piece in Am and I coudn't work out why the one chord had a sharp it.. (G) and apparently it is a Harmonic Minor! Very common.. so I'm told!? :D

Thank again and happy playing!

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 pm

The only difference between the natural minor and harmonic scales is that the 7th note in a harmonic scale is raised a half step (the G# you saw in Am)....in fact both use the same key signature.
But note, you will often find notes and chords that are outside of the scale(s) the piece is written in. Using chromatic chords (chords that include at least one note not belonging to the diatonic scale) add color to a piece.
Scales are not rules that must be rigidly followed....they are more like guidelines. Always remember, there are no rules to break when it comes to music theory...if it sounds good...it's music. Period. :)

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri May 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Draco.. I think your right... if it sounds ok.... then it is!

The more I play, the more I find notes that don't work and notes that do and.. for me... this is the best way of progressing!

Many thanks again... Hope you are feeling ok!