This software has a lot of potential

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
aaronv

This software has a lot of potential

Post by aaronv » Sun May 15, 2016 9:26 pm

After using this for a few days I think this has the ability to replace a lot of piano lessons and save people money. This is like the khan academy of piano.
It's nice that you guys didn't stick straight to a middle C approach (since I heard that was bad) and have many different positions from the get-go. I find that turning off the note labels completely and saying each name out loud as I play has helped me progress faster on the harder stuff. I'm a software engineer and this program is pretty nicely made, with some questionable UI (why is there no back button to go back to the bootcamp from the lesson page?).

The only thing is that I think there is not enough material so far to last me a whole year subscription or maybe even a month subscription, unless I buy a lot of songs. Even then, I think the lessons should not rely on people buying songs or anything to progress (which I don't think they do so far). The songs on the store should just be an extra.

I really really think this software could use something like quizzes, like fill in the blank or some sort of flashcards. Here's some inspiration https://www.musictheory.net/exercises

You guys should also have a demo of this software for people to try (or at least I couldn't find one), or show people's ability to play in a before-after fashion after finishing your rookie/intermediate/advanced lessons on your website.
A 1-2 lesson demo would have sold me immediately.

It'd also be cool to see more stats based on other piano players or how you measure against them, and the ability for the sofware to tell you how much time you've spent practicing (not just the time it measures whilst recording).

One last thing... I may also add this to the feature request, but it would be really sweet if you could play with another person in real time, although the latency issue may kill this idea and it's probably also out of scope.

draco2023a

Re: This software has a lot of potential

Post by draco2023a » Mon May 16, 2016 12:40 pm

They are currently working on mini games....Also they do offer a limited free trial
https://www.playgroundsessions.com/free-trial

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 am

All great suggestions. I'll forward them to the team.

As draco2023a pointed out, we are in the process of building out technical exercises (drills, scales, arpeggios, etc.), as well as little games people can play to give them a different approach to learning the music.

malkythealky

Post by malkythealky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 am

When will these mini games/exercises be due for release?

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:38 am

That, my friend, is a good question!

I can't say when we'll be rolling them out, but they are on our list. :)