Relax..Frustration is your enemy

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
draco2023a

Relax..Frustration is your enemy

Post by draco2023a » Thu May 19, 2016 3:03 am

When learning to play an instrument, we often get frustrated when we just can't seem to get it right, but it is vital to stay calm and relaxed. When we are stressed, our pulse quickens, our muscles tense, and our fingers stiffen up, making it nearly impossible to play effectively. On top of that, it is nearly impossible for our brains to retain complex information. In other words, when your stressed, your ability to learn is greatly reduced.

So if you're feeling frustration creeping in, back away from the keyboard, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and shake the tension out of your arms and hands. Never force yourself to continue to play when your frustrated. It accomplishes nothing.

One thing to remember. No mater how poorly you think you're doing today, you will improve tommorow. A funny thing about or brain is that it takes time for it to process complex information. As we practice the brain is busy storing all that feedback coming from our muscles and senses...but it is not actually fully processed until we are sleeping. This is whe we often find ourselves struggling with a complex problem one day only to have it suddenly click the next day....So don't get stressed and don't force it. If you are practicing and following the lessons the Playground team has put together faithfully....then you will improve.

One more thing.....Don't just play through the bootcamp lessons until you are able to finish them correctly a few times...Master them...Practice each one until you could practically play it in your sleep. You'll progress a lot faster if you do, as muscle memory is created through repetition.

I have seen a few people come through here...complete all the bootcamp lessons in a few months and then go off on their merry ways. but that's not how learning an instrument works. You gotta keep at it!
Happy Playing :)

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Relax..Frustration is your enemy

Post by davidsides » Tue May 24, 2016 11:02 am

Great advice! :)

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Regarding the practice practice practice mantra - we need a practice room where all the pieces we've completed are linked so we don't have to drop back to bootcamp to fire up the next lesson just to get to the final page of a lesson to play that again. Call it "Play It Again, Sam" or whatever you like. I like to "warm up" by working through the things I've already completed successfully and having a page where those are all linked would surely be handy.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:45 am

By "pieces you've completed", this is strictly referring to Bootcamp lessons? Or are you referring to songs as well?

I definitely like the idea of implementing some "warm-up" material.

Flashdharma

Post by Flashdharma » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm

I have been playing guitar for more than 20 years and here is my take on 'frustration'. This has all become much more meaningful to me since I started studing keyboard here and am revisitiong 'awkward beginner' land.

It is easy, even if you are an advanced player, to become discouraged, and/or intimidated when you compare your playing with that of other musicians. Even if you are not distressed by the disparity between your playing and that of the individual(s) you are comparing yourself with, it is still easy to begin to expect too much from yourself. It is important to have goals. But, this musical journey is a long one (one life-time is not enough to explore it fully). At every point in the process, we make strides forward, and, at the same time, we become more aware of deficiencies we need to address. That is as true for the best players as it is for a beginner.

The first important thing to learn, if you want to avoid the ‘I am not making progress syndrome’, is that you have to let go of the ‘condemning mind’. While it is good to be aware of areas that need improvement, it is not good, or productive, to let that awareness interfere with your enjoyment of playing music. Every time you sit at the piano and play, you are making music. If you focus on the ‘music’, you will find that all of the mental garbage will disappear. If you are playing a scale, don’t think of it as a boring, but necessary, stepping stone to something satisfying that lies in the future. Try to play the scale so that it is ‘musical’, so that it is exciting, and so that playing it gives you pleasure. If you have never tried this, you will be surprised how easy it is to achieve. Playing ‘this’ scale, at ‘this’ time, in ‘this’ place is a creative, satisfying process!

The second thing to know is that there are two basic forms of ‘learning progress’. I will call the first ‘instant progress’ and I will call the second ‘gradual progress’.

The first form of progress is like a flash of lightening. You practice something, and, suddenly you see amazing possibilities that you never saw before. You are able, instantly, to bring new techniques and/or expression to your playing. We have all had this experience and it is wonderful when it happens. However, you can’t expect this result all of the time.

The second form of progress is slow, like water wearing away a stone. You can stand and watch, and nothing seems to be happening, but if you come back later, you find the Grand Canyon. Every time you sit at the keyboard, study a lesson, or think about music, this form of learning is taking place. You have to trust it and allow it to move at its own pace. The results will come. In fact, ‘instant progress’ is usually the result of a period of ‘gradual progress’. They go hand in hand.

Zen Buddhism talks about maintaining ‘beginner’s mind’ . What that means is the student should always try and keep the freshness and enthusiasm that they felt the first time they sat at the keyboard and simply found joy in making musical sounds. We should always approach learning and practice with a clear, noncondemning mind. Don’t confuse constructive-critical evaluation with condemning. Take joy in what you are doing - you are making music.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:59 pm

I would be fine if it were only the boot camp lessons, as they build on one another as you go. The idea I have is that I would like to quickly access the n/n challenge piece of each lesson and run through the last several, depending on where I'm at in the bootcamp, to refresh my muscle memory and ready myself for the next lesson.

Having completed the challenge once with 100% doesn't mean I've really conquered that piece. So any opportunity to run through them again would be a good thing.

The songs might or might not flow well with the lessons, so I would not expect them to be in this pick list.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am

Gotcha. I'll make a note of this.