Play Without Looking at Keyboard?

Introduce yourself, show your set up, discuss tips, ask questions, and more!
SpenceBorg

Play Without Looking at Keyboard?

Post by SpenceBorg » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Just wondering if it's a generally good idea to learn to not have to keep looking at where your fingers are on the keyboard? I find that most songs where I have errors, it's when I have to glance down to see if my figner placement is correct.

Should I be concentrating on not having to look down?

draco2023a

Re: Play Without Looking at Keyboard?

Post by draco2023a » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:12 am

When you're learning a new piece, it is a good idea to be able to keep your eyes on the sheets as much as possible. You really want your fingers to be able to hit the right keys without looking. The best place to start is when practicing your scales. When you get to the point you can play through them without looking, you will be in good shape.

Developing tactile awareness of the keyboard is an essential skill, but with that said, even the most accomplished pianist looks down avery now and then.

bwsmithna@live.com

Post by bwsmithna@live.com » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:07 pm

I am a beginner, and I was just thinking about this same thing. I find that looking at the keys helps me hit some difficult (for me) sections and transitions, but then I try to work until I don't have to look at my hands. Any guidance from the pros appreciated.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:52 am

That's definitely a great goal to work towards, but understand that it won't happen overnight. The more you play the piano, and the more you get used to the spacing between one note and another, the easier it will be to be able to play the music without needing to constantly look down at your fingers.

The best way to get to this point is to just play, a lot. You could develop this skill in the context of playing songs, or you can develop it in the context of playing through drills (scales, interval leaps, etc.). Ultimately, the more you play, the faster you'll be able to play without needing to constantly look at your hands.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:08 am

What's funny is I've found that once I've learned a song by looking at the music and not the keys, when I glance down at the keys for some reason at a place I normally wouldn't, it throws me completely off. I noticed that when I memorized a song...I felt like I should look at the keyboard some since I didn't have music to look at (and that's what David and all the cool players do, right?). It was awful. I'd get confused, miss my fingering, lose my tempo....bomb it completely. Look "straight ahead" at my music stand, and I played right through.

Not only do I admire proficient piano players (and other musicians), but I admire how they can continue to play while in a bar or band or club, looking around, chatting with bandmates, whatever, and never miss a step. The work musicians have put into their craft is just amazing.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 am

I completely understand. It was a while before I was able to look at sheet music, look away at the keys, then look back at the notation and not skip a beat. Trust me, it will all come with time, you just need to keep working at it. Same goes for the ability to play music while looking around, or while holding conversations. Like with anything, that essentially comes down to how comfortable you are with playing what you're playing. The more familiar you are with the material you're playing, the less you have to concentrate on what you're playing, which then frees you up to do other things (like look around, etc.).